Should I use anti seize on spark plug threads?

06617258 Mercury, V-150, 2.0L, V6.
    Should I use anti seize on NGK 6431 BU8H spark plug threads when installing new plugs?

Should I use any gasket adhesive when replacing thermostats?

Should I use any locktite on bolts / studs when replacing water pump (complete kit)?

Thank you.

not for a long time. plugs are now coated/plated so you don't have too.

Steve McQueen "Le Mans"
    Own the Champ! Life Long Petty Fan!

2003 ChampioN 2006 250 Merc. XB, Prop By Mark C.
    2002 Ranger Okeechobee Special EvinRude Ficht 90 / 9.9 4-Stroke GLAD to have a Get me to the Dock motor maybe!

3. Member
    Despite plugs being coated I still use a small dab when I change plugs, doesn't hurt a thing, and gives me peace of mind.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Won't hurt- but should not normally be necessary with that plug (due to it's shorter threaded shank).

If you use anti-seize, a VERY little bit is all you need.

No gasket adhesive- the rubber seal that the thermostat fits inside of seals the thermostat to the head and the thermostat to the cover.

Water pump: The studs should remain in the gearcase. If they come out, reset them with red liquid loctite (so they stay).

Nuts are NYLOCK nuts so you should not require thread locking compound there. You can use a little blue on the single (long) screw if you like- and don't forget to apply a bead of silicone across the exhaust dam before installing the gearcase.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Scraps
    On the spark plugs, a teeny, tiny bit on the threads. No need to coat the threads all the way around. Just remember the torque will be much easier with the anti-seize.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by krindgen View Post
    On the spark plugs, a teeny, tiny bit on the threads. No need to coat the threads all the way around. Just remember the torque will be much easier with the anti-seize.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

7. Member
    What's the torque for the spark plugs on this motor?
    Thanks

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    18-20 lbs/ft (usually requires 20 to seat the crush ring properly).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor