Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

smoking on a traeger didn't go so well.

I'm at my in laws who have a traeger VIP 365. I used the smoke setting for about 45 min then increased the temp on the thermostat to 325. For an hour the temp went up and down between 280 and 120. I had no clue as to how to get it working correctly. The second time it dropped below 200 I took it off the grill and finished the cook in the oven. This incident was a surprise as i have heard a lot of good stuff about traeger. I did clean the smoke pot and inside using a shop vac prior to cooking. Used a new bag of pellets. two days before I cooked steaks but the grill only go to 325 degrees. Had it set on high, 475 I think. OH well we had a great dinner with family. Now back to TN where it's a whole lot warmer and better fishing this time of year.

2. Member
    It’s been a while, but my last Traeger was not impressive, but I understand they are better now…. I don’t have a pellet grill currently but based on what I’ve read and friends that have them - it would be a Rec Tec. Sorry it didn’t turn out for you but glad it ended up OK.

3. Member
    I have/had the same issue. Several calls to Traeger with no solution as of now. Spent 45 min on a video call so they could see the temperature gauge go up and down from 135 degrees to 500 degrees. At 500 degrees, the unit shut itself off. This happened several times.

4. Member
    This is not good news for me jut pulled the trigger on a tailgater.

2023 Phoenix 920 Elite
    2023 Mercury Pro XS 4S

5. Member
    I've been to a few houses with Traegers and have seen the same issue. Was not impressed.
    2019 Alumacraft 14.5 escape tiller "child support"
    2018 Ford fiesta "pistachio"
    1992 kawasaki zx11 "legend"

6. Member
    Have a look at the Pit Boss 820!

7. Member
    I have a Pit Boss 820D and I have had a lot of trouble with it going out at temperatures under 350. I have done a lot of different things to try and make it work including calling Pit Boss. I have also had a lot of trouble with wild temperature swings up to 100 degrees above and below setpoint. My daughter and son have smaller Pit Boss units and do not have any trouble with them. I would look at getting a pellet smoker with PID controller. A good PID controller should keep the temperature within a few degrees. I have large commercial wood fired burners operating with PID's on ovens and chip roasters and I can keep the temperature easily + or - 1 degree. I am thinking seriously about retrofitting a PID controller on my unit.

8. Member
    Ive owned traegers since 1991 then about 3 years ago I wanted to try something different bought a pit boss. in less then 2 months time 3 control units and other issues returned it and went back to traeger. I never have ever had one minutes issue with any traeger I have owned.

9. Member
    I bought our first Traeger from Costco this year. I have not had any issues that were not user error. It has been great. I have heard that cheap pellets can be a problem. I have had good luck with Traeger brand and Bear Mountain pellets.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Roaster View Post
    I have a Pit Boss 820D and I have had a lot of trouble with it going out at temperatures under 350. I have done a lot of different things to try and make it work including calling Pit Boss. I have also had a lot of trouble with wild temperature swings up to 100 degrees above and below setpoint. My daughter and son have smaller Pit Boss units and do not have any trouble with them. I would look at getting a pellet smoker with PID controller. A good PID controller should keep the temperature within a few degrees. I have large commercial wood fired burners operating with PID's on ovens and chip roasters and I can keep the temperature easily + or - 1 degree. I am thinking seriously about retrofitting a PID controller on my unit.
    I’ve been a stick cooker all my life. Dipped into pellets a few years ago with a Pitt boss 820. Out of the gate the temp swings and control were off badly. Lil research and bought a SAVANNAH Stoker controller. Plug and play after you spend a day and a 12 pack dialing it in. It has been perfect ever since. I also have a Pitts and Spits that has a Savannah Stoker, Pitts and Spits with Roanoke controller and a small grilla grills chimp. The controller is the key. I would have the Savannah Stoker on all of mine. You control temp swings. Pellet cookers need swings to produce smoke. A go grill setting that is WFO. They have a facebook page. Good luck JD
    2020 BCB Lynx 300 pro xs 4s
    2013 BCB Puma 250 pro xs
    WPS

11. Member
    So far so good, three cooks on the ole Traeger and all is good. Wings, Ribs and a Pork loin.

2023 Phoenix 920 Elite
    2023 Mercury Pro XS 4S

12. Member
    My wife bought me a new grill for Father's Day 2019, knowing I'm picky she told me to go pick it out. I picked out one of their higher end Traeger models (I forget the model name) and had a LOT of trouble with it keeping any temp consistent high or low. I also didn't care to have to get a shop vac out every so often and only one temp probe. I think I had it 3 weeks and although it was summer time and I used it quite a bit, I was surprised how quickly I had to bust out the shop vac. I had the remnants catch fire long after a grilling session was finished and it kinda spooked me.

I returned mine and bought a Camp Chef pellet grill. Not sure of it's model name either, I keep it in the garage but I'm at the office getting last minute CPE. The temp on this thing is super stable and it gets to temp relative quickly as well. I keep it in the garage and roll out to the driveway to cook. If it is super cold out side obviously it takes a bit to get to a high temp but when it gets there it stays. Also has two temp probes, wouldn't mind having four TBH.

What I really like is all the ash collects in a pot underneath and every so often depending on cook time I remove it and dump it. Only one time in 2 1/2 years have I had to take a small dust pan sweeper and sweep additional ash into the pot to dump. It all pretty much stays in the little pot. The temp stability and control is what I appreciate most and it goes a bit higher temp setting than the Traeger I had did.

Get a Recteq and never look back.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jp71291 View Post
    ^^^^^^^
    This right here

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jp71291 View Post
    yup

16. Member
    What price range Savannah Stoker did you get and where did you obtain it? Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Hogbus View Post
    I’ve been a stick cooker all my life. Dipped into pellets a few years ago with a Pitt boss 820. Out of the gate the temp swings and control were off badly. Lil research and bought a SAVANNAH Stoker controller. Plug and play after you spend a day and a 12 pack dialing it in. It has been perfect ever since. I also have a Pitts and Spits that has a Savannah Stoker, Pitts and Spits with Roanoke controller and a small grilla grills chimp. The controller is the key. I would have the Savannah Stoker on all of mine. You control temp swings. Pellet cookers need swings to produce smoke. A go grill setting that is WFO. They have a facebook page. Good luck JD

17. Member
    I have a Treager and have had the temp issues before. I discovered as long as I keep the burn bowl cleaned out it operates as should. The ash will turn to a hard disc and build up causing the pellets coming in not to burn correctly.

18. Member
    Before the cook I read about keeping those areas in the smoker clean. I used a shop vac to get all the ash out plus cleaned the inside of the grill. But it still didn't work as expected. Glad to hear yours is working fine. It's a hassle when they don't cook as expected.

19. Member
    I've had 2 Traegers over the last 20+ years and I have never seen this happen. But I shop vac the bowl before every cook.

20. Member
    If I remember correctly the Savannah stoker is around $225. Worth every penny.
    2020 BCB Lynx 300 pro xs 4s
    2013 BCB Puma 250 pro xs
    WPS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast