Circuit breaker for trolling motor

I recently had to replace the lower unit on my trolling motor due to brush card frying,could not just purchase card so bit the bullet and replaced unit,anyway after installing went to test motor and nothing,checked for 24 volts at receptacle ,no voltage then ohmed wires from batteries,had continuity through pos but not neg,now here is the issue the neg is spliced into another wire which I'm assuming is wire to a breaker or fuse.I cannot locate where this wire runs to as it is under deck .I have checked breakers on console none of them are tripped and also ohmed those out.I bypassed that wire and sent 24 v directly to new unit and runs fine,but I really don't want to bypass any safetys I just need to know where that splice starts also any wiring diagrams on a 1993 Gambler Intiminator would be greatly appreciated thx in advance for any info.

2. Member
    Branch splices to install circuit protection would be rather pointless. In original form there were 4 battery cables run from the rigging compartment to the bow. The 24v jumper was located in the male plug. Back then Gambler used a "quick-connect" connector in the bow and those sometimes lose connectivity. If you do indeed have 4 cables run to the bow you probably just tested continuity on the wrong negative. If you have a jumper wire in the rigging compartment that connect the negative of one battery to the positive of the other I suppose it'd be kinna hard to connect to the wrong one but I reckon it could happen. Also... if you have a jumper wire between the batteries in the rigging compartment it means someone has changed the original configuration and even if there are 4 cables at the bow - only two of them will be active. On the male plug at the bow there are 4 lugs - but only two cables so you need to make sure you have the correct cable going to the correct lug.
    Last edited by yupitsme; 11-30-2021 at 03:06 PM.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Valedhines@netzero.com View Post
    I recently had to replace the lower unit on my trolling motor due to brush card frying,could not just purchase card so bit the bullet and replaced unit,anyway after installing went to test motor and nothing,checked for 24 volts at receptacle ,no voltage then ohmed wires from batteries,had continuity through pos but not neg,now here is the issue the neg is spliced into another wire which I'm assuming is wire to a breaker or fuse.I cannot locate where this wire runs to as it is under deck .I have checked breakers on console none of them are tripped and also ohmed those out.I bypassed that wire and sent 24 v directly to new unit and runs fine,but I really don't want to bypass any safetys I just need to know where that splice starts also any wiring diagrams on a 1993 Gambler Intiminator would be greatly appreciated thx in advance for any info.
    T-Motor circuit breaker will nor be on the dash. T-motor breaker should be mounted right at the battery on the red positive lead.

If it is still factory, you have 4 T-Motor leads to the bow panel with a jumper in the T-Motor receptacle, might have melted that jumper with the direct short in T-Motor.