Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Catdude…
    That Deka 27m6 is a great battery. Do you recall if NAPA still rebadges it here in the USA? I need a battery with more reserve on my pontoon to run a bigger Lowrance unit. I’m only cranking a 40 HP Mercury four stroke.

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBrownBass View Post
    Catdude…
    That Deka 27m6 is a great battery. Do you recall if NAPA still rebadges it here in the USA? I need a battery with more reserve on my pontoon to run a bigger Lowrance unit. I’m only cranking a 40 HP Mercury four stroke.
    They do. So does O'Reilly's and Batteries Plus. Pretty reasonably priced at O'Reilly's

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/BAT8...pressionRank=3
    https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/c...sb2/27ms?pos=1
    https://www.batteriesplus.com/produc...up-27m/sli27ma
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

Thanks!

4. Member
    ok, my local CTC store has these two rebranded batteries in stock now and I get 10% off next week. They appear to have similar specs to me other than two years more warranty on the "Northstar" and 10lbs less weight. The Northstar is $480 Cdn. and the "Deka" is $340 Cdn.. Which would you buy? Pse and thanks
    Cdn Tire batteries.JPG
    2002 Skeeter ZX200
    2018 200SHO

5. Member
    I have the one on the left, in 31 size bought from CTC and it's been going strong for 4 years. It starts my 200 HP 4 strokes and powers 3 large graphs along with a Talon anchor. I can charge it each time I come back from fishing . I leave it in the boat during winter storage without charging it. Come Spring, it's charged up in a couple of hours .

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Real L View Post
    I have the one on the left, in 31 size bought from CTC and it's been going strong for 4 years. It starts my 200 HP 4 strokes and powers 3 large graphs along with a Talon anchor. I can charge it each time I come back from fishing . I leave it in the boat during winter storage without charging it. Come Spring, it's charged up in a couple of hours .
    Thanks REAL for the info...
    2002 Skeeter ZX200
    2018 200SHO

7. Member
    Both batts are top choices. Buyers choice!

John Walker - Matthews NC

2021 Ranger RT198P - Mercury 150 4S - Enertia Eco
    VesselView Link - MotorGuide Tour Pro - Lowrance Carbons

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnnyred View Post
    Both batts are top choices. Buyers choice!
    Yes...I just don't understand what would make the Northstar cost so much more? Is it just so they can double the warranty? Or will it actually last that much longer?
    2002 Skeeter ZX200
    2018 200SHO

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by McQuaig View Post
    Yes...I just don't understand what would make the Northstar cost so much more? Is it just so they can double the warranty? Or will it actually last that much longer?
    You need to pay attention to all the factors listed here. I think the warranty factor is important as well. They would not warrant the battery for twice as long unless they felt it would last that long. The weight of a battery is also an indicator of storage and power. Neither of these companies are rookies in the battery business. Don't need tricks or gimmicks' to sell batteries. If you take care of these batteries(Don't drain past 50% and charge immediately after use) you will get your monies worth. JMO Bob
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

10. Member
    The battery on the left ( Rebadged Northstar I believe) is said to contain pure lead only. By that they mean that no recycled lead is used to manufacture the battery. I don't know if that's a gimmick but it seems to work.

11. Member
    Thanks everyone for replies and good info.
    2002 Skeeter ZX200
    2018 200SHO

12. Member
    Info for Cdn buyers: So I went in to my nearest CTC store to buy the "Northstar" 27 AGM battery and I see the date code on both in-stock batteries is April 2020...almost 2 years old. So I call 3 other nearby CTC's and ask them for the date codes on theirs (15 batteries total). They're all dated the same. I asked if their distributor exchanges these batteries after sitting for a certain length of time, like Interstate does, and they said no, we "eat them". So it looks to me like CTC must have got a good bulk buy on these when Northstar was taken over by Enersys in 2020. The same battery now is sold as an Odyssey (ODX AGM27M)...same case (but different color) and same specs and price. Anyway, I'm not going to pay full price for a battery that's been sitting on the shelf for 2 years and thought other Cdn buyers might want to know what I found, and be sure to check dates if buying...
    2002 Skeeter ZX200
    2018 200SHO

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12