Thread: Crankbait rod

Crankbait rod

Tackle warehouse is have a 20% off sale and I’m looking at getting a deep crankbait rod for throwing strike king 5/6xds. Is this a good rod? Which one should I get? https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Lews...ge-LKVDCC.html

2. Scraps
    Have not looked at that rod, but have looked at the Lew's Fritts Perfect cranking rods and they are an amazing value. Really nice parabolic tapers. I crank a lot and I'm really picky about my cranking rods and thought these rods compare to much higher priced rods. The KVD rods you're no doubt paying for that signature.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

3. Member
    If Lews is what youre after they did just release the XD crankbait series of rods. I throw 5-8XDs on an 8’ Daiwa Tatula Elite Glass Crankbait rod. It performs really well.

4. Member
    What kind of specs should I look for in a medium/deep cranking rod? MH or Heavy? What kind of tip?

5. Member
    The rod that i have used for the last few years and rods i have used in the past for deep cranking have been MH and Regular/Moderate. Thats what i prefer. I dont throw anything bugger than an 8XD most of the time. The lure rating range if the Tatula Elite rod im using is 1/2-2 oz so it fishes 5,6,and 8XDs pretty comfortably. I have thrown 10XDs on it and it does fine with those too. But this cranking rod is rated at a MH, the MH Lews you are looking at may not fish the bigger cranks as well.

6. Member
    Following as well. I'm looking for a 7'6" rod to throw the larger cranks also to pair with a Curado 200 E5. Most of my crankbait rods are GLoomis but I have not found one I really like to throw the large baits.
    2007 Bass Cat Pantera IV
    2018 G3 Sportsman 1710

7. Scraps
    Quote Originally Posted by Fish0093 View Post
    What kind of specs should I look for in a medium/deep cranking rod? MH or Heavy? What kind of tip?
    https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Lews...tml......these right here, in the 7-6 or 7-11. The 7-6 will be a little less of a dedicated rod and you can do more with it than the 7-11. If you're just gonna be in open water making looooong casts, get the 7-11. Heck, buy one of each.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

8. Member
    I know this thread is old but I had been throwing 6XD on a 7'6" Zodias Glass. Lately I've been playing with a Megabass Levante EMTF and it slings'em really well. I haven't caught anything to brag about so i don't know for sure how it will work to keep them hooked up but so far it's a winner...

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cape Fear View Post
    Following as well. I'm looking for a 7'6" rod to throw the larger cranks also to pair with a Curado 200 E5. Most of my crankbait rods are GLoomis but I have not found one I really like to throw the large baits.
    Check out the MB Orochi XX Launcher

Check the ALX Rods Thunder - really popular 7'6" rod for deep cranking due to the Modfast action.

11. Member
    Hands down the 710 XHM Victory St. Croix. Rock Star! It was designed to do exactly what you are asking for all the way up to a 10XD. Extremely light as well. Compare the specs. They are calling it the Extra Heavy Cranking rod. The light rod is a split, this one is a full grip rod.

12. Member
    Thanks for the info guys
    Last edited by Fish0093; 12-26-2021 at 10:13 AM.

13. Member
    Anything with the words Randy MCabee on it will do just fine for cranking