New Helix Setup - Include My Gen 1?

Hey guys.

I’m thinking about getting a new Helix 10” Mega SI for my console and a 10” Mega DI and Mega 360 for my bow.

I already have a Gen 1 9” SI and a Gen 1 9” DI.

Would you include the Gen 1 units in the set up, or just roll with the two new ones? If you’d include them, what would you use them for?

Also does Humminbird or any of the retailers have a tool where you tell it what units you want (SI, DI, and 360) and it tells you what connectors you need and maps it out for you?

Thanks.

2. Member
    Include the gen 1 units and used them for navigation.

3. Humminbird Moderator SLYDoggie's Avatar
    I agree with the above. I would keep at least one to use as a dedicated chart viewer so you don't need to take up room on your other graphs with the chart. If you would benefit from having a dedicated Chart unit at the front and at the helm, I might be inclined to keep both of them.
    ---> Regards, Steve Yarbrough (AKA: SLYDoggieTN on YouTube)
    • Apex 19/16/13, Mega 360, and Mega Live
    • Minn Kota Ulterra Quest Trolling Motor
    • (2) Cannon Optimum Bluetooth Downriggers
    • Impulse Lithium Batteries... 36V 60AH for Trolling Motor, (2) 12V 120AH for Cranking & Electronics, 12V 60AH for Downriggers

4. Member
    Thanks guys. I guess that means buying an Ethernet switch too.

Without a dedicated Gen 1 transducer I don’t think I’d be able to get any sonar functionality on them.

5. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassooka View Post
    Thanks guys. I guess that means buying an Ethernet switch too.

Without a dedicated Gen 1 transducer I don’t think I’d be able to get any sonar functionality on them.
    In your setup you don't need an Ethernet switch if you don't care about networking the bow and console units. You can connect the Gen 1 units directly to the new units to get a G1 level of sonar on the old unit and share GPS and waypoints between the old and new units.
    Last edited by BoatBuggy; 11-28-2021 at 09:11 AM.
    2013 Ranger Z520c, 2013 Yamaha 250 SHO
    2018 Ranger RT198p, 2013 Mercury 150 Optimax

6. Member
    Like others have said, use one of the Gen 1 units for a chart. Just turn off the sonar. If you do get the network switch, you may be able to see the sonar, DI or SI from the other units. Not sure about the compatibility between G4 and G1. I have a second unit at my bow that I use exactly that way. I have my Lakemaster card in that unit.
    CMSGT, USAF, Retired
    2021 Nitro Z19, Mercury 200 Pro XS 4 Stroke, SN 2B789775

Ultrex 80/45 24v, Helix 8 G3N SI+. Helix 10 G4N DI+, Helix 3GN DI

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Dilling View Post
    Like others have said, use one of the Gen 1 units for a chart. Just turn off the sonar. If you do get the network switch, you may be able to see the sonar, DI or SI from the other units. Not sure about the compatibility between G4 and G1. I have a second unit at my bow that I use exactly that way. I have my Lakemaster card in that unit.
    What information shares when I network my Humminbird units together? | Humminbird
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL