Short Frog Rod (for the kayak)

Hi guys,

though it will be quite a while till the frog bite (even here in Cali) will turn on again, I am considering taking advantage of the BF sales and get me a frog rod that I can use in the kayak when the longer rod, Steez XBD, is just too long to comfortably walk the frog and get it into the tight pockets.

Hence I am looking for a rod that should be under 6'11, should have enough backbone to fish the delta and a fast enough tip to walk a frog. Balance is important as well (considering using it with either a Morethan or a 2021 Antares DC). Would like to stay under the 400USD range (but open if there is THE rod that fits my criteria).

Currently I have the NRX 804c and the P5 Super Destroyer that could fit the bill length wise. Though I dont think that either of them is powerful enough to get a 3# out of cover.

I previously had the P5 Tequila Baccarac as my short frog rod, but sold it again because I did not like the moderate taper and the reel butt was a bit too long as well for me.

Some quick research has yielded the following results:

* Megabass P5 Tachyon Shaft
    ** Powerwise it should work (I think?!) but it seems to have the same regular taper of the Tequila, so not sure if I would be happy with that

* Megabass P5 Killer Code
    ** Should have more power than the SuperDestroyer, since it has a higher lure rating?! Unfortunately seems to have the same regular taper

* Megabass Orochi XXX Cover Hacking
    ** Rated as similar power to the SuperDestroyer, but with a faster taper. Not sure if the power is adequate though

* *Megabass Orochi XXX Mat Bucker Type L
    ** Rated as similar power to the SuperDestroyer, but should be stronger, given the lure rating?

Are there any other rods out there that would fit the bill? What are your experiences and recommendations?

Thanks all!

2. Member
    I was going to suggest the P5 Tequila Baccarac as that is the rod I use for frogs, but then I saw you already tried it. You may want to look at the Falcon Cara 6'11" Eye Crosser. It's got a 2 1/2" shorter handle than the TB and it's still lure rated for 1/2 - 1 1/2 oz. I haven't used that particular rod, but I have used the Head Turner and it's a pretty powerful rod that I have used for frogging in the past (admittedly not in the real thick stuff and not for California-sized bass). If you are wanting to stay with Megabass, I'm sure Gary will be along shortly to offer the best option Megabass has to offer.

3. Member
    I’ve been in your boat (I fish from a yak) and I eventually got used to rods above 7’. It took a little while to get comfortable, but now I use anything I can from a boat. It’s the training your body to cast 3/4 or sidearm which was the hardest for me.

The killer code and Tachyon aren’t traditional frog rods. I’ve fished the Tach and it’s a good light to medium cover jig rod but it’s not going to pull the big girls outa the slop.

Out of the XXX lineup you’ve only got one stick with the guts to frog and it’s super moderate(Destruction). I have a wild bunch which is the carbon head model built nearly the same way and it doesn’t frog well. I’d suggest a perfect pitch if you’d like to stay in Megabass. The only other recommendation I’ve had for a MB frog rod is a Poker, but I’ve not fished one.

Outside of Megabass I know Major Craft has several lines with XH or H rods under 7 foot. I’ve heard nothing but good things about them, and I really need to try them myself.

Good luck on the search, I was in the same position two years ago and just gave up trying to tailor two sets of gear for a yak and boat/bank.

It's 7' but the Megabass Orochi XX or Levante Tour Vesatile makes a great shorter frog rod.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by coreynov902 View Post
    I was going to suggest the P5 Tequila Baccarac as that is the rod I use for frogs, but then I saw you already tried it. You may want to look at the Falcon Cara 6'11" Eye Crosser. It's got a 2 1/2" shorter handle than the TB and it's still lure rated for 1/2 - 1 1/2 oz. I haven't used that particular rod, but I have used the Head Turner and it's a pretty powerful rod that I have used for frogging in the past (admittedly not in the real thick stuff and not for California-sized bass). If you are wanting to stay with Megabass, I'm sure Gary will be along shortly to offer the best option Megabass has to offer.
    THanks, I will check out the Falcon!

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TNBankFishing View Post
    I’ve been in your boat (I fish from a yak) and I eventually got used to rods above 7’. It took a little while to get comfortable, but now I use anything I can from a boat. It’s the training your body to cast 3/4 or sidearm which was the hardest for me.

The killer code and Tachyon aren’t traditional frog rods. I’ve fished the Tach and it’s a good light to medium cover jig rod but it’s not going to pull the big girls outa the slop.

Out of the XXX lineup you’ve only got one stick with the guts to frog and it’s super moderate(Destruction). I have a wild bunch which is the carbon head model built nearly the same way and it doesn’t frog well. I’d suggest a perfect pitch if you’d like to stay in Megabass. The only other recommendation I’ve had for a MB frog rod is a Poker, but I’ve not fished one.

Outside of Megabass I know Major Craft has several lines with XH or H rods under 7 foot. I’ve heard nothing but good things about them, and I really need to try them myself.

Good luck on the search, I was in the same position two years ago and just gave up trying to tailor two sets of gear for a yak and boat/bank.

Yeah, I tried to fish with my 7'4 Steez XBD. And it works for matts or/and when power is absolutely necessary with larger frogs. But for smaller frogs (below 1/2oz) it is just very cumbersome to walk the frog (and I have a Hobie PA14 where I can easily stand in).

Thanks for the feedback on Megbass TS! Good to know that this rod is not strong enough! I looked at the Major Crafts as well, based on your recommendation and the Speedystyle Frog rod looks like it could fit. Unfortunately its sold out everywhere.

The Perfect Pitch does not provide any benefits over my Steez XBD unfortunately.

Thanks all for the feedback so far! :)

We have a lot of kayak customers who like our ZOLO Skipper - 6'9", MH+.

I've personally used it out of a Bonafide 127 and had no issues with walking the frog and casting under and around cover. You lose some of the hooksetting power and fish moving power that a long rod has, but if you want a shorter rod, it's a player.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cidgrad View Post
    We have a lot of kayak customers who like our ZOLO Skipper - 6'9", MH+.

I've personally used it out of a Bonafide 127 and had no issues with walking the frog and casting under and around cover. You lose some of the hooksetting power and fish moving power that a long rod has, but if you want a shorter rod, it's a player.
    Thanks for the suggestion. Though I dont think it has more power than the Megabass Super Destroyer. Additionally I am not fan of the reel seat nut. I prefer this to be cork or eva, since the way the Zolo series has it my finger rests on the uncomfortable nut .

9. Member
    I dont fish out of kayaks but i would suggest the Daiwa Tatula Elite 6’9” H skipping rod. I use the 7’1” version as my frog rod and it has performed great in light and thick cover

10. Member
    Fitzgerald Buddy Gross 6’10” Frog rod is a beast.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mbeason View Post
    Fitzgerald Buddy Gross 6’10” Frog rod is a beast.
    THanks for the tip! The handle length is probably a bit too long for frogging with 15 1/2 inches. Don't you think?

12. Member
    This need screams custom rod! You an spec every aspect and it probably isn't as expensive as you might think...

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by thebentpole View Post
    This need screams custom rod! You an spec every aspect and it probably isn't as expensive as you might think...
    Yeah, i thought about it too. I will check out some regular brands first

Thanks!