NC Boat Sales Tax

I just moved to NC and ordered a new boat from a dealership in Tennessee. I'm reading that sales tax is 3% of sales price, but caps at $1500. Is that accurate? Any other state taxes I'm not aware of? Thanks for the help!
    2012 Phoenix 721/250 Pro XS

Based on what I have read, the cap of $1,500.00 is correct.
    Last edited by rgbtr196le; 11-24-2021 at 11:19 AM.

3. BBC SPONSOR / PHOENIX MOD DREWTICK's Avatar
    you may have to Pay sales and use Tax for Tenn
    Drewcraft Specializes in Lithium Batteries and Chargers, We carry all Brands of Trolling Motors and Graphs, Minnkota, Lowrance, Garmin, Motorguide
    910-722-0001 call or text
    info@drewcraft.com

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DREWTICK View Post
    you may have to Pay sales and use Tax for Tenn
    According to dealer, I only have to pay taxes for NC since that's where it will be registered/titled. So hopefully that's accurate. Saves me more money so I can buy more stuff from you!

5. BBC SPONSOR / PHOENIX MOD DREWTICK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dannov5 View Post
    According to dealer, I only have to pay taxes for NC since that's where it will be registered/titled. So hopefully that's accurate. Saves me more money so I can buy more stuff from you!
    ok was not sure how Tenn did it, some states charge you both or some type of split
    Drewcraft Specializes in Lithium Batteries and Chargers, We carry all Brands of Trolling Motors and Graphs, Minnkota, Lowrance, Garmin, Motorguide
    910-722-0001 call or text
    info@drewcraft.com

6. Member
    I bought my boat from Bunch Marine last year.I only had to pay tax on the cost of the trailer per DMV.

7. Member
    I’ve bought two boats in Tennessee over the years and only paid NC taxes and tags. Could’ve changed in the past four years.

8. Member
    Purchased my boat in TN, paid taxes only in NC. Of course, you do have to pay personal property tax annually in NC in addition to the initial sales tax.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ct0218 View Post
    Purchased my boat in TN, paid taxes only in NC. Of course, you do have to pay personal property tax annually in NC in addition to the initial sales tax.
    ‘This is correct. If I remember correctly they hit you on sales tax when you get your registration numbers for the hull.

You will need Bill of Sale and Certificate of Origin (if new) to register and get boat numbers.
    2015 Bullet 21XRS, 2021 250 Pro XS 4s - 3B014359

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by blazer202 View Post
    ‘This is correct. If I remember correctly they hit you on sales tax when you get your registration numbers for the hull.

You will need Bill of Sale and Certificate of Origin (if new) to register and get boat numbers.
    Thanks guys!

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by basshound250 View Post
    I bought my boat from Bunch Marine last year.I only had to pay tax on the cost of the trailer per DMV.
    Better check this out I did same thing from MO and two years later NC billed me with $400 in penalties. I was able to get them waived. Heard some out of state dealers say that to make bottomline price look less.

12. Member
    What part of Missouri are you from

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Bruhn View Post
    What part of Missouri are you from
    I am from NC but bought the boat in MO and the salesmen said I had no NC tax on sell .

14. Member
    I’m sorry to hear someone from their lied to you. Doing taxes in MO on boats and vehicles is a zillion times easier than in NC. There you go to one location. Department of Revenue does taxes, plates and other things that NC doesn’t. Also for example if you buy a $20,000 boat in Missouri and you sell your other boat for $10,000 then you get a tax credit on the spot with a hand written BOS of an official goverment BOS. Then you would only pay $10,000 in taxes. NC does not have that. I know I’ve bought 3 boats living here in NC and I argue with them Everytime. But you call MO department of revenue they say NC is stealing as that’s a thing for every state. But I am living proof it’s not that way in NC. They bend us all over 3 times more than any other state. Sorry to hear that. You do have a right to use that credit. Say you sell your boat for $20,000. Then you go buy a boat for $20,000. You then owe NO taxes but you would spend about $40 for title transfers and stickers for your plate. Anytime you sell a vehicle, trailer, boats, motorcycles you get to claim that tax credit on your next vehicle your going to license. I bet that is what happened. NC doesn’t give you that.
    Last edited by Eddie Bruhn; 12-02-2021 at 04:26 PM.