Thread: Slug gun help?

Slug gun help?

Need help with what to shop for a good Deer slug gun for a Christmas present.

2. Member
    if you can find a Harrington - I would use nothing else. I have an ultra slug hunter from them, 12g rifled barrel and it is dead on. Mine likes hornady sst 2 3/4 and I have no issues with 100 - 125 yd shots. It's crazy accurate.

3. Member
    I have an 870 that I built found it at at pawn shop. it was a home defense gun with the extended magazine and synthetic stock. Put a rifled slug barrel on it and a bsquare scope mount. Topped it off with a 2x7 scope. It's a deer killing monster!
    Infact I am using it this weekend over all my rifles!
    ~~1995 Gambler~~

Mercury 250 ProXS
    Bobs 10" AJ
    Dual Power Poles
    2-HB 1199's HB 1158 HB 597 in dash
    Ultrex 112

"Runs like a cheetah... with his @$$ on fire"

My boss has a Savage 220 Slug Gun and loves it. Shoots accurate out to 100 yards, comes with a 3 round magazine I believe, and flat out puts em down!
    2022 Skeeter ZXR20
    Yamaha 250 SHO

Body in North GA (Lake Lanier) - Heart in KS
    I have a savage 210F and its a bolt action slug gun that flat out shoots sabots! So I would think any of the newer Savage bolt action slug guns like Meadows indicated would be great!
    2008 ChampioN 198 / 225 Opti ProXS! 1999 187 DC Elite / Merc 175 efi & 1989 184 DCR /Merc 175 xri

If it is going to be a dedicated slug gun, I would buy a Savage bolt action. I had a 12 gauge Mossberg Slugster that shot great with Hornady sabots, but always wanted a bolt gun. I will buy a Savage at some point.
    Aaron Campbell
    Barling, AR
    2007 Bass Cat Sabre
    2011 Merc 175 Pro XS

7. Member
    What kind of slugs are you wanting to use? If you are going to use sabots you want something with a rifled barrel. If you are going to use old school slugs a smoothbore works just as good. I do not think that the brand maters all that much but some of them have better sight arrangements than others.

8. Member
    I have a savage 220. It’s not the most refined gun in the world, but the accu trigger is great and it is a tack driver.

Savage 220 all day every day. The owners manual will give you a recommendation on which loads to use. I love mine and would not hesitate to shoot 150 yards. They are shooters for sure.

10. Member
    I’ve been searching for a Savage 220 for many months. Everyone that I know who owns one loves it.

11. Smallmouth Junkie!
    Quote Originally Posted by muskyman73 View Post
    if you can find a Harrington - I would use nothing else. I have an ultra slug hunter from them, 12g rifled barrel and it is dead on. Mine likes hornady sst 2 3/4 and I have no issues with 100 - 125 yd shots. It's crazy accurate.
    I have one as well. It’s a tac driver.
    2012 Phoenix 721 pro xp / 250hp SHO
    2003 Skeeter TZX-190 / 150hp OX66

12. Member
    I also have a Savage 220 as our club doesn't allow use of center fire rifles. Think of the 220 as a modern day, short range rifle. From a rest you can punch 2 inch groups all day at 100 yards and around 3.5 - 4 inches out at 200 yards (best I could do with the gun as it came out of the box, no mods made... yet) I know its a little clunky, rough looking, and has a cheesy plastic stock but it does shoot very well within its limitations. There are several you tube videos of the 220 in use including one claiming shots out to 300 yards. I would not hesitate to take a broadside shot out to 150 yards from a rest on a standing deer. I would consider maybe a 200 yard shot if wind wasn't a factor, had good lighting, and with a rest.
    I have a 2.5 - 8 power scope so more magnification might help with slug placement. I also used the DeeZee one piece mount to limit any ring/mount movement. No, it won't replace a rifle but for what it is I do like it a lot. Have taken 5 deer thus far with only one shot needed each and of those only one went maybe 40 yards. The others simply piled up where they stood. Think big bore, short range rifle...
    Phillip "Wade" Norris
    2015 Ranger Z520C
    250 Merc Optimax Pro XS (S# 2B113454)
    25P Fury - 4 blade all holes open

13. Member
    Forgot to say using Federal 3" Trophy sabot slugs as per Savage testing/recommendation. They also recommended the 3" Remington slugs but they didn't group as well for me.

IF you run across a new or like new Ultra Slug Hunter. I would consider that option as well. I have not seen a new one in several years now, maybe no longer in production?
    Phillip "Wade" Norris
    2015 Ranger Z520C
    250 Merc Optimax Pro XS (S# 2B113454)
    25P Fury - 4 blade all holes open

14. Member
    Benelli Supernova

15. mikesxpress
    I went thru all the Mickey mouse stuff and finally got one of these years ago. Added a Hawke slug gun scope with lit reticle and only 2 3/4" Accutips run thru it. Good out to 150 yards.

https://remingtongunstore.com/reming...th-camo-stock/

16. Member
    Most any brand of rifled slug barrel will be fine. Just note that with sabots, there is quite a bit of plastic deposited in the barrel grooves. You will see accuracy drop quickly. I good solvent that is made to remove plastic helps a bunch. Use it and a clean patch and you will get little curls of plastic on the patch. Clean after every shot and you will be good to go in no time. Clean barrel will be the way you shoot it, so sight it the same way.

17. Member
    I have a 870 that has a Hastings cantilever slug barrel. I have taken several deer over 150 yards. One was out to 240 yards. Everything was perfect for that shot. Hastings barrels still come up for sale on ebay or gun broker. Oh and by the way, I shoot a 20ga. Don't think you must get a 12ga. The savage 220 is very nice to shoot in a 20ga as well.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Moose720 View Post
    I have a 870 that has a Hastings cantilever slug barrel. I have taken several deer over 150 yards. One was out to 240 yards. Everything was perfect for that shot. Hastings barrels still come up for sale on ebay or gun broker. Oh and by the way, I shoot a 20ga. Don't think you must get a 12ga. The savage 220 is very nice to shoot in a 20ga as well.
    Thank's that 20ga. sound's good for my grand daughter.