Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Automatic boat latch opinions wanted

Anybody have one on your trailer? What do you think of it? Looking for pro and con advice. Thanks!

Years ago I had a Boat Buddy, worked great !! Unfortunately I sold it with the Boat !! And now, they are out of business ! I've been looking at the Ramp N Clamp, but have yet to pull the trigger.
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

3. Member
    Yes they work good, You just need to learn how far to back the trailer in for loading because you want the boards to guide the boat to the latch.

Also when loading remember to wet ur carpet all the way before loading boat. Steep ramps might be a problem.

2016 Triton 20 TRX Patriot, 250 PRO XS
    Shawn Willoughby

4. New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar
    When they first came out a few guys had a problem with bending the latch pin by hitting it too hard. But that was user error not product design....
    1990 374V Ranger Still kickin' bass after all these years

5. Member
    I have the Drotto on my trailer. I launch and load alone a lot, so having a hotfoot in my boat it makes life much easier.(doesn't slide back)

The Drotto is great for someone who loads alone often. But you have to know your boat and trailer and know for sure how deep to back the trailer on various slope ramps. There is a specific range of speed you have to hit it at. It takes a fairly hard bump to close it. Make sure your winch stand will withstand it. You cannot choose to winch up to it and close it, that cannot be done. It has to be hit at speed to close it. Hard enough that you want to not use more speed than necessary because of the stress it is already putting on the winch stand.

I have the Drotto on my Skeeter MX1825 trailer. Every welcome addition since I run solo 98% of the time. I back the trailer in a little deeper than I used to so the boat floats a bit more. Pull the rope and off I go. Loading is easy as this boat centers quite easily. Bump the latch, cut the motor and trim it up. No more gunning it to hold in place while I strap the front end. Well with the $$$ for me.
    2018 Skeeter MX1825 w/175 Yamaha 4-Stroke
    80# MK Ultrex w/ I-Pilot
    HB Helix 10 SI Mega, HB Helix 9 SI, Helix 9, Garmin 106SV
    USAF Ret

8. Member
    I was considering the Drotto after seeing it in action on a sport fishing v-hull Nitro ZV21. Worked flawlessly on that rig.

I have a smaller z118 and sometimes hit the trolling motor on the roller when launching on deeper ramps and thought this would be worse with the Drotto in place.

For those who have used these on bass boat, especially shorter ones, does the Drotto impact your launch or recovery?

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wmitch2 View Post
    Years ago I had a Boat Buddy, worked great !! Unfortunately I sold it with the Boat !! And now, they are out of business ! I've been looking at the Ramp N Clamp, but have yet to pull the trigger.
    I did the same thing. I posted a "want to buy" with picture here on BBC and after a month a great member had one on the shelf in his garage and mailed it out. I thank him every time I load the boat alone.
    Jim
    Old Guy
    2021 Z19 Pro

I put one on my new boat this spring, should have put one on the last boat. I bought the Ramp & Clamp. Instead of a pin going through the eye, it works off of a cam system ( like a 5th wheel locking around a kingpin). One of the most useful items I have used.

11. Member
    Very interesting concept, first I have heard of those and thanks for sharing.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassman Ia. View Post
    I put one on my new boat this spring, should have put one on the last boat. I bought the Ramp & Clamp. Instead of a pin going through the eye, it works off of a cam system ( like a 5th wheel locking around a kingpin). One of the most useful items I have used.

Bassman that looks like a great idea but I am having a problem envisioning how it works. Could you please post a picture (or 2) from different angles so we can see the mechanism a little better? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Bassman Ia. View Post

Interesting. I have to power load my Sabre FTD every time. That looks like the ticket for a latch system.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

Quote Originally Posted by Russ661 View Post
    Bassman that looks like a great idea but I am having a problem envisioning how it works. Could you please post a picture (or 2) from different angles so we can see the mechanism a little better? Thanks!
    1st. Pic, Ramp &Clamp comes with a thin hook that you connect to the winch strap hook ( you never remove it from winch strap). Second pic is a top view and shows how the cam system works. Just like a 5th wheel, once the bow eye makes contact, the locking mechanism swings around and goes through the bow eye. The release lever is the lever on the starboard side in my original picture. The difference between this and the old boat buddy is—— you can set this one up two different ways. Mine is set up—- I release it to launch, and without having to touch it again, it rearms itself. Which means if someone else is backing the trailer in, they don’t have to touch it. The wheel is an addition from the first ones, works like a champ.

Last edited by Bassman Ia.; 11-29-2021 at 03:29 PM.

15. Member
    I have a Drotto on my Tracker and I love it!! You DON'T have to come in WOT to latch it. Just drive up and bump it and you'll here it latch. Easy off and easy on!!

16. Member
    I put a Drotto on my RT 188. I’ve used it a lot and really like it. I was having trouble on steep ramps with the boat sliding back.

17. Member
    Drotto on my Ranger. Wouldn’t be without it.

Drotto for about 2 months- I really like it so far, still learning how far to back the trailer in.
    USAF Retired 1983 - 2003
    Ground Radio Technician
    2013 Nitro Z6 115 Optimax

19. Member
    I've never really understood the need for those, unless you have a roller trailer. I've never had an issue with my boats sliding back on the bunks, and I like having the regular winch and strap when launching solo (generally leave a couple feet of slack in the bow strap and back until the boat floats off the trailer).
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package

I don't have one but I'm considering it because I launch a lot by myself. If the ramp is at all steep, my boat will not stay at the bow stop without leaving the motor in gear and sometimes not even that is enough. Also, we don't have 200' Corps ramps up here and power-loading really is harmful. My BCB trailer was obviously designed with power-loading in mind. Lastly, our water levels were low this summer due to drought and twice I sucked up sand while leaving the motor running and in gear to hold the boat in place while hooking the bow strap. Both times, I had to remove and clean the thermostats because of the sand.
    There was a time that I didn't fish but I cannot remember it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast