Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcjenson View Post
    I've never really understood the need for those, unless you have a roller trailer. I've never had an issue with my boats sliding back on the bunks, and I like having the regular winch and strap when launching solo (generally leave a couple feet of slack in the bow strap and back until the boat floats off the trailer).
    you still use the winch strap. You must not launch on steep ramps.

One really great advantage of having either one is that the driver doesn't have to lean over the bow to hook up the strap or climb over the bow and stand on the tongue. Pull up, bump, click, and pull out. My Son-in-Law and I can time it to where as he is backing in, I am heading toward the trailer, he's in, I'm on, bump, click, and pull out and the boat does not back off !!! Seconds, not minutes !! And the ramp is ready for the next guy. I had the Boat Buddy on the last boat, but I'm going with a Ramp n Clamp since Boat Buddy is out of business. Either one, it will make a beg difference !!
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

3. Member
    I put the ramp & clamp on my customline trailer my Bullet rests on. I love it.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassman Ia. View Post
    you still use the winch strap. You must not launch on steep ramps.
    I guess not I haven’t. I’ve been to a ton of different boat launches and have never had an issue with a boat sliding back. Bigger issue I’ve had is the crazy shallow angle launches where I’m nearly getting the front wheels in the water.
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package

I guess not I haven’t. I’ve been to a ton of different boat launches and have never had an issue with a boat sliding back. Bigger issue I’ve had is the crazy shallow angle launches where I’m nearly getting the front wheels in the water.
    The second time I put the boat back on the trailer after installing the Ramp & Clamp it didn’t hook. New boat, new to the Ramp & Clamp, started pulling the trailer up the ramp slowly, and felt that tug, bump, whatever you want to call it. I knew what it was immediately. Outboard was still over the water, boat had slid back about 20” on the trailer. Some of the ramps where I fish are short and steep.

These things are useless on electric only lakes where you can't power load with the outboard.

Quote Originally Posted by skeeterator View Post
    These things are useless on electric only lakes where you can't power load with the outboard.
    This is true. Like I said, it takes a pretty good bump to close the Drotto. I have tried to manually close the jaws and it is possible, but not practical. In the cases when I go to an electric only lake I just winch up and let the winch strap and safety cable serve their purpose alone till next time I load on an outboard permitted lake.
    Last edited by Skeeterbait; 12-03-2021 at 06:34 AM.

8. Member
    Droto was a great investment!!
    2019 Crestliner PT 20 - Mercury 200 Pro XS 4s - Columbus, OH

9. Member
    Guess it really depends on your boat style and ramp pitch.

Up north, we tend to run lot of deep Vs boats and the bass guys still run the bass hulls.

Both the bunk and roller(deep V mostly) trailer guys seem to love them, no matter the hull style

I have the Drotto on 2 deep Vs, a 17.5 tin and a 20.5 glass Walleye type.

Almost all our ramps are concrete and at a decent pitch.

The only drawback is a Tmotor hanging over the nose, which can get caught sometimes, depending on boat.

Most of the V hull guys have a slide for the Tmotor.

Good Luck

10. Member
    I had a Drotto on my old roller trailer. Absolutely the best investment I made on that boat. I am going to put it on my new bunk trailer for my Lund Pro V Bass. I am a little worried about the trolling motor hanging over though. I wasn’t sure I would even need it for the bunk trailer, but I fish alone during the week while my buddies are working. It will make it easier to load/unload by myself. I will try it and if it doesn’t work, it is really easy to install and take off. I really hope it works as well as it did on my other boat.

12. Member
    Oh my! That right there is a good argument for an automatic latch system!

13. Member
    They just lifted the boat back onto the trailer?

They just lifted the boat back onto the trailer?
    That is what the guy said. I’m sure they got the trailer up to the boat, hooked the winch strap up and everyone pitched in.

15. Member
    I wonder if either of these would work on my tin? The bow eye is cast aluminum and 1/2' in diameter. I've messaged both companies but haven't heard back
    Alweld 1856 Stick Steer with 70 Yamaha
    Dual Power Pole Blades/ Helix 10 MSI
    80# Ulterra Link/2 Ionic Lithium 50s/ShuttleSlide Mount

USAF Ret

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RichW View Post
    I wonder if either of these would work on my tin? The bow eye is cast aluminum and 1/2' in diameter. I've messaged both companies but haven't heard back
    my friend had a 18 foot tracker and the drotto would not work bc the bow eye was a little thicker than most eyes. he sold it to me for my key west 1720 and it works great. he thought of changing the bow eye and grinding it down but in the end he just sold the tracker bc of health issues.

17. Member
    I would change the bow eye before I would give up my Drotto system.

18. Member
    That is what the guy said. I’m sure they got the trailer up to the boat, hooked the winch strap up and everyone pitched in.
    You wouldn't think that is possible, I guess they got it done haha.

19. Member
    I don’t care for them personally. I fish solo 90% if the time and have no issues w/ my F2 2 speed winch and an HD strap.
    Lightning 6
    2007 TR-196DC

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12