2009 250 Pro XS Coil Bulletin / Risk?

Hi All,

I have my 2009 250 ProXS (Serial 1B750829) in for winterizing and 300 hour service.

I just got a call that my coils are part of a bulletin and should be replaced (for about $1200).

Did the bulletin expand? I feel like I've heard about coil problems since the day that I bought my boat, but wasn't able to get them replaced under the bulletin - either because I never had an issue or was outside of the bulletin.

I can't cough up that much $$$ right now, but curious on the history and what type of risk I may really be at with a 12 year old engine that's really been flawless.

Thanks,
    Tim

If it's still running on all cylinders, I wouldn't replace them. I've got a 2013 250 pro xs that I've replaced 2 coils on. Consider yourself lucky!

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Tim- Service Bulletin 2009-26R1 indicates that IF there is a coil failure on your engine, all of the coils should be replaced. If none have failed, and you've got 300 hrs on the engine, you really don't have anything that you have to do at this point (unless you just want to).

The biggest concerns I would have would be if one shorted (potentially damaging the PCM), OR became intermittent in such a fashion that it was dead until it reached WOT (can be a bit of a surprise).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    I have a 2012 and have replaced all of then but 1. I keep one on the boat alo g with 20 Amp fuses. I can replace in about 10 minutes on the water. If they have not failed yet they probably will not.
    Roger Jenks Jr
    2021 Bass Cat Lynx
    250 Pro xs 4S Serial # 3B010758

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Tim- Service Bulletin 2009-26R1 indicates that IF there is a coil failure on your engine, all of the coils should be replaced. If none have failed, and you've got 300 hrs on the engine, you really don't have anything that you have to do at this point (unless you just want to).

The biggest concerns I would have would be if one shorted (potentially damaging the PCM), OR became intermittent in such a fashion that it was dead until it reached WOT (can be a bit of a surprise).
    The PCM seemed to be his concern IF I were to have an issue down the road. I just don’t have a great sense of how much I’m gambling by not changing them if I’m ok so far at 300 hours. ‘If it ain’t broke…..don’t fix it’ keeps playing in my head right now. ��

Thank you for the replies.

Quote Originally Posted by hoytkimbershimano View Post
    The PCM seemed to be his concern IF I were to have an issue down the road. I just don’t have a great sense of how much I’m gambling by not changing them if I’m ok so far at 300 hours. ‘If it ain’t broke…..don’t fix it’ keeps playing in my head right now. 😀

Thank you for the replies.

I've got over 500 hrs on mine. The fuse is there to protect your PCM. So far with the two I've lost, it's just been an inconvenience. Don't fix it if it ain't broke! You might not get so lucky with the replacements!

7. Member
    I just watched a video and they look pretty easy to replace.

Can someone confirm the latest part number? Or I'll reach out to Rhonda.

I can save some money and do this one myself based on what I saw.... 2 connections and 2 bolts each right?

I can save some money and do this one myself based on what I saw.... 2 connections and 2 bolts each right?
    Very easy. You can carry one on the boat and replace on the water. Both of mine were easy to identify. Both were hot and like a bird pooped on them where they oozed out their guts!

9. Member
    $1,200 to replace 6 coils that is just a little high can be done for a good bit less.
    04 521VX 250 Pro XS
    14 521C 250 Pro XS

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar

Correct. Rhonda can set you up, or if you order on our website, the latest part number is show once part is added to the shopping cart.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

11. Member

Yes easy peasy and no idiosyncrasies to worry about.