Oil for 2007 (225XL) Optimax

I have read the requirement in the sticky above regarding oil and I have been using the oil below from the recommendation of the dealer who sold me the boat. However, I have finished using the oil below for my 225XL OPTI (serial # 1B481454).

I am in the market for some oil and I see two different oils offered in the Premium series (see pic below.) Is one better than the other? Thank You for any help.

The recommended oil for your motor is Mercury or Quicksilver optimax DFI oil.

Honora Primum Vel Nullum Omnin Honorem

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryanmc57 View Post
    The recommended oil for your motor is Mercury or Quicksilver optimax DFI oil.
    +1

If you can't find Mercury/Quicksilver DFI then Premium Plus is an acceptable and compatible alternate.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverFox579 View Post
    +1

If you can't find Mercury/Quicksilver DFI then Premium Plus is an acceptable and compatible alternate.
    +2

"Premium" is not meant for your Optimax engine (it is intended primarily for use in small engines or as a "premix" oil).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    Thanks guys for the clarification.

6. Member
    The most current recommendations can be found in the FAQ at the top of the forum, last updated 7/2021. Conversely, the info in your owner or service manuals (I have both too) hasn't been updated since date printed.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

7. Member
    What about opti oil for your opti?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    1997 Ranger 692VS
    2014 Mercury 175 Pro XS 2B111166

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger Rod View Post
    What about opti oil for your opti?
    That's what it was made for. If you're referring to my comment about his pics of jugs with red labels, neither of those is Opti oil.

9. Member
    https://www.quicksilver-products.com...-outboard-oil/

This is the mercury oil page and will help explain their 2 stroke oils.

They offer 3 types of 2 stroke oil and each one is explained.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Another Distraction View Post
    https://www.quicksilver-products.com...-outboard-oil/

This is the mercury oil page and will help explain their 2 stroke oils.

They offer 3 types of 2 stroke oil and each one is explained.
    Drives me nuts that there isn't any mention of opti oil.
    1997 Ranger 692VS

11. Member
    The 3rd oil, DFI oil, says for "mercury optimax".20211126_150309.jpg

12. Member
    Yes it does. But what about the opti oil? Is it a Canadian blend?
    1997 Ranger 692VS

13. Member
    Some people feel better using only the recommended parts or oils. If that makes you feel good than great. But hear is a little food for thought. Do you really think big race teams only use manufacturer parts or oils. Plenty great parts and oils come from racing and the aftermarket. It’s called development and technology is passed down in many ways. Most products we use daily were originally created to solve a military situation. Than the technology is passed down to the consumer over time.

Some good points, but race teams tear their motors down after every race and their motors aren't mass produced.

15. Member
    That’s true The point is things are learned and passed down in de tuned forms. Some things learned are in durability. Advances in special lubricants trickle down. Dragsters and street rods both use aftermarket stuff of a different level but better than stock

16. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 1ranger487vs View Post
    That’s true The point is things are learned and passed down in de tuned forms. Some things learned are in durability. Advances in special lubricants trickle down. Dragsters and street rods both use aftermarket stuff of a different level but better than stock
    Additionally- they technically ARE the manufacturer of their engine, which usually has no warranty of any form or fashion, whatsoever.

See the FAQ Section, most up-to-date recommendations are listed there.

Optimax/DFI oil has been the recommended lubricant for ALL Production Optimax Models (including ProXS Models) since no later than 2011).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1ranger487vs View Post
    Some people feel better using only the recommended parts or oils. If that makes you feel good than great. But hear is a little food for thought. Do you really think big race teams only use manufacturer parts or oils. Plenty great parts and oils come from racing and the aftermarket. It’s called development and technology is passed down in many ways. Most products we use daily were originally created to solve a military situation. Than the technology is passed down to the consumer over time.
    This is very true but ......how do you find out which one to use? Not going to get the suggestion from some dude or the kid that works at BP.

I'd rather pay a bit more and be sure.
    1997 Ranger 692VS