Looking for a squarebill rod

I'm really struggling to find a great squarebill crankbait rod. I almost exclusively throw 2"-2 1/4", 3/8 - 1/2oz squarebills like a SK KVD 1.5, Megabass S-Crank 1.2, and Evergreen CR-4 and CR-6. I'm looking for a rod 6'8" - 7'0" in length for precision casts. This past season I tried a Dobyns Champion XP Crankbait 684 and although I liked the way the rod loaded with a fish on, it seemed like it was too whippy when casting. It just didn't feel crisp when trying to pinpoint cast with squarebills. Just looking for some options to look at. I'd prefer to keep it at $300 or less regarding price, but am open to rods above that price point.

2. Member
    I use a Shimano Zodias Glass 7’2 MH for my squarebills. I think it fills the need well but everyone is different

What about a 685 or 705cb? Both awesome SB rod. I personally love the 704cb for that size in cold water but go for the 705 in warmer water.
    2024 Phoenix 21 XE - Mercury 250 PRO XS Serial #3B429919
    2017 Phoenix PHX 21 - Yamaha 250 SHO
    2010 Skeeter 20i - Yamaha 250 SHO
    1988 Procraft 1780 Competitor - Mercury 100

4. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    You will get so many options on this but my small crank rod & reel are under your budget! 7’ medium/fast Carbonlite 2.0 rod, 6.8.1 Carbonlite 2.0 reel combo from Bass Pro Shops.

I use one as my topwater rod, and one as my crankbait rod (6’ & under). Deadly accurate, light, comfortable, great drag. And BPS warranty on their products is great. I have literally caught thousands of bass on that rod, 2 over 10lbs and I will probably never find a rod and reel I like more for those 2 things.

If you want to spend more, get the Platinum series. I have a couple of them as well and they’re sweet. 6’8” MH with the 8.3.1 reel for jerkbaits, and the 7’1” MH/6.8.1 for swim jigs. Both rods and reels are covered for 10 years and they’re my favorite rods that aren’t “custom made”
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

5. Member
    If glass is what you generally like then look at the legend glass 6'10" MH moderate fast rod, LGC610MHM is the model. I personally prefer graphite for squarebills. I like the extra feel when feathering them through wood. I like the 6'9" MH moderate fast legend tournament serires, LBC69mhmf is the model.

6. Member
    Try a 5 power Dobyns in a length you are comfotable with. I have the 704cb and 705cb graphites and the 705cb MH glass. In my hands the 705cb MH glass (not the moderate model) is perfect for close combat square bills. I use the 705cb graphite with deeper cranks for a better feel of bottom and cover type. I use the 4 power for small flat side cranks as well as jerkbaits.

7. Member
    Thanks for the suggestions so far. I couple of the rods mentioned have been on my list to look at, so I'll definitely check them out.

8. Member
    You can’t beat a ALX hustler for the money.

Yup - ALX Rods IKOS Hustler - S-glass cranking rod

We do have several customers that prefer carbon fiber (aka graphite) for a squarebill rod. In those cases the IKOS Buzz 7 is pretty awesome. The difference is a little more feel and that's real helpful when banging a squarebill around cover. I personally used the Buzz 7 for my squarebills for a long time before we offered the Hustler.
    Last edited by cidgrad; 11-23-2021 at 09:29 AM.

10. Member
    I typically use either a Dobyns 705CB Glass or a Megbass XX Flatside Special. That being said, I wouldn't buy either of them at MSRP as I feel the Dobyns Champ XP rods are a little overpriced and the XX Flatside Special is a good rod but kind of overkill (In terms of cost and sensitivity) for a squarebill rod IMHO. Now, buying the Dobyns 705 CB Glass 25% off at ALF for Black Friday sounds right.

Falcon Cara 6'8 med heavy , mod fast. It's the best squarebill rod I've ever put in my hands.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cidgrad View Post
    Yup - ALX Rods IKOS Hustler - S-glass cranking rod

We do have several customers that prefer carbon fiber (aka graphite) for a squarebill rod. In those cases the IKOS Buzz 7 is pretty awesome. The difference is a little more feel and that's real helpful when banging a squarebill around cover. I personally used the Buzz 7 for my squarebills for a long time before we offered the Hustler.
    Alex, ALX rods is one that I was definitely going to look at. What was the reason you switched from the Buzz to the Hustler for your squarebills? Did you notice any difference in your ability to pinpoint casts after you switched? I'm normally not bombing casts with a squarebill, but instead am within 5-15 yards and trying to get the bait precisely where I need it. That's why I've been thinking I need to go to a graphite rod (the last few rods I've used have been composite graphite/glass rods).

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnD. View Post
    Falcon Cara 6'8 med heavy , mod fast. It's the best squarebill rod I've ever put in my hands.
    I used to have a Cara T7 Head Turner and loved that rod, so I'll definitely check out this rod.

Quote Originally Posted by coreynov902 View Post
    Alex, ALX rods is one that I was definitely going to look at. What was the reason you switched from the Buzz to the Hustler for your squarebills? Did you notice any difference in your ability to pinpoint casts after you switched? I'm normally not bombing casts with a squarebill, but instead am within 5-15 yards and trying to get the bait precisely where I need it. That's why I've been thinking I need to go to a graphite rod (the last few rods I've used have been composite graphite/glass rods).
    My home lake is primarily open water. Very little cover, open points, banks, etc. I like the glass because when the spotted bass hit, they typically wreck it. The glass gives and helps keeps a feisty spots buttoned up.

I still cast around floating docks some and have not seen any difference in casts.

Two schools of thought I have and I haven't fished enough cover to decide for myself when fishing in blowdowns or cover - the glass rod gives when I hit a limb, etc - so it doesn't put as much pressure on the bait, driving a hook into wood - so I typically don't get stuck. On the other hand, the Buzz - I feel more, so I can usually feel what he bait is doing and know when I am running into stuff and need to back off and float up.

I've never had an issue with losing fish on the Buzz and I do feel like I can set the hook a little more if needed with the carbon fiber rod. The Hustler is really nice keeping fish buttoned when they pull hard and just is a much smoother feel.

Based on what you are saying - you may be well served getting away from a glass rod and using something that acts more like what you use on you precision baits (jigs, worms) since that is what you doing with a crank.

15. Member
    ALX should have a hard time keeping rods in stock just for the simple reason as he is the only rod manufacturer that I know of that takes the time and try’s to help each and every customer that has a question. Great service!!

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cidgrad View Post
    My home lake is primarily open water. Very little cover, open points, banks, etc. I like the glass because when the spotted bass hit, they typically wreck it. The glass gives and helps keeps a feisty spots buttoned up.

I still cast around floating docks some and have not seen any difference in casts.

Two schools of thought I have and I haven't fished enough cover to decide for myself when fishing in blowdowns or cover - the glass rod gives when I hit a limb, etc - so it doesn't put as much pressure on the bait, driving a hook into wood - so I typically don't get stuck. On the other hand, the Buzz - I feel more, so I can usually feel what he bait is doing and know when I am running into stuff and need to back off and float up.

I've never had an issue with losing fish on the Buzz and I do feel like I can set the hook a little more if needed with the carbon fiber rod. The Hustler is really nice keeping fish buttoned when they pull hard and just is a much smoother feel.

Based on what you are saying - you may be well served getting away from a glass rod and using something that acts more like what you use on you precision baits (jigs, worms) since that is what you doing with a crank.
    Thanks for the information Alex. I think the Buzz is the route I will go since it sounds like that will fit what I'm looking for better than the Hustler.

17. Member
    I use a Daiwa Tatula Elite 7’2” M glass rod for my squarebill rod. I love it

18. Member
    i got st croix legend glass 6'10" medium casting .i used it on squearbills and it was exellent .when you get fish hooked ,it stays hooked . will sell for 200 shipped.
    Last edited by jcs379; 11-24-2021 at 08:49 PM. Reason: not complete

19. Member
    Love the Expride 7’2” MH glass for this application. As a bonus, it’s also a fantastic chatterbait rod.