Hydraulic steering questions

Towards the end of my fishing season, I noticed a puddle of some kind of oily substance in my splashwell. I also noticed that there was suddenly a lot of play in my steering wheel before the motor would actually turn (I noticed this while using the motor idling on a no-wake lake as well as once it was back on the trailer). So far I haven't found the spot where it's leaking and since I've put the boat away for the winter and have the motor trimmed down I haven't noticed any more fluid in the splashwell. I've never had to do anything with hydraulic steering before, so I'm admittedly a dummy with this. I would think that my first priority would be to try and isolate where the leak is coming from and address that. Once that is taken care of, do I just need to add hydraulic fluid up at the steering wheel or am I going to need to drain the old fluid, fill with new and then bleed the system? Lastly, is there a specific hydraulic fluid that needs to be used with SeaStar systems? Thanks for any help.

2. Member
    Fix leak and bleed.

Once the leak is fixed, which could be the end caps on the cylinder, you will need to bleed the system. There is a kit that includes hoses and seastar has specific hydraulic fluid. I have read some people use ATF, but I wouldn't recommend that. Use the seastar fluid. I bought everything I needed off Amazon (end caps, bleed kit, fluid).
    If you were closer to KY I would help you out
    2003 Stratos 185, Yamaha V150LTRB, Tempest Plus 25P

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach185 View Post
    Once the leak is fixed, which could be the end caps on the cylinder, you will need to bleed the system. There is a kit that includes hoses and seastar has specific hydraulic fluid. I have read some people use ATF, but I wouldn't recommend that. Use the seastar fluid. I bought everything I needed off Amazon (end caps, bleed kit, fluid).
    If you were closer to KY I would help you out
    Thank you for this info! I've already got a bleeding kit, so I should be good there. I'll make sure to check the end caps to see if that's where the fluid is leaking from. And I'll go ahead and use the Seastar fluid as advised. Do you think I should drain the existing fluid and put in all new, or just add what I need and bleed the system?

5. Member
    Bleeding it is easy. Never done the seal thing so I would probably just take it to a shop for that.
    2007 Bass Cat Puma
    2007 Mercury Pro XS 250

Most likely the rod seals. Depending on which seal kit you order one will have the wrench needed for removal. Not a big deal for someone with a little mechanical aptitude.

7. Member
    I may be in the market soon for a lot of seals, I may have added lower unit oil instead of power steering fluid. Last tournament it was really stiff, but it was 30 degrees ambient. I'll smell the helm and see if I screwed up.

8. Member
    buy your seal kit for the cylinder (amazon ) remove your cylinder find a hydraulic shop because you need the correct tool to do the job correctly reinstall go fishing

Merry Christmas ! Just get correct parts and tools if needed
    Diagnose, Disassemble and Rebuild SeaStar Marine Steering System - YouTube

22R

Allison XB2002 / Merc 150 XR6

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WStorey View Post
    Bleeding it is easy. Never done the seal thing so I would probably just take it to a shop for that.
    It's very easy to do yourself & way cheaper than what a shop's going to charge. I did mine last winter & now have a couple buddies wanting me to rebuild theirs.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by coreynov902 View Post
    Thank you for this info! I've already got a bleeding kit, so I should be good there. I'll make sure to check the end caps to see if that's where the fluid is leaking from. And I'll go ahead and use the Seastar fluid as advised. Do you think I should drain the existing fluid and put in all new, or just add what I need and bleed the system?
    aviation hydraulc fluid can also be used inplace of sea star fluid at about 1 quarter of the price too.