Flipping (Gear Ratio)

Hey guys, I have pretty much never flipped. A buddy turned me onto the technique this fall and I'd like to give it more of a try. My question is if I need to buy a specific 8.1:1 reel or if I can get away with the multiple Daiwa Tatula SV TW 6.3:1 reels I already have?

I don't really want to go out and buy a new reel for a technique I'm not sure if I'll stick with, but if its a must I guess I could pony up the cash.

Looks like the Daiwa Tatula SV TW 8.1:1 has a significantly higher line per handle turn which I think is more of a big deal in flipping than the actual gear ratio.

Thanks!

2. Member
    For actual flippin' a 6.3 is fine...if you're talking about pitching most people now like a higher speed but I pitched for years with a 6:1 greenie just fine. I use a 7:1 to pitch.

3. Member
    best advice i can give you is use what you have for a while and then think of what you want to change rod and reel wise a 6.3 will work just fine

4. Member
    Use what you have and get to know the technic and how you utilize it, this way you can buy a rod/reel for the way you flip and the areas you use it once you’re into it. Your not going to loose fish on a slower ratio, just takes a couple seconds more between cast…. Once the sickness bites you and your confident, you’ll have 3 flipping setups
    2019 Ford F-150 Platinum (3.5EcoBoost/10spd)
    **Listed FOR SALE**2014 Ranger Z119C w/ Evinrude ETEC 225HO Running Croxton’s Razor 4XL 25P
    Helix 12 Mega G2N’s with Ultrex
    Think like a fish, no matter how weird it gets

5. Scraps
    Since pitching/flipping is such a short casting presentation technique, I really don't think that higher gear ratio really means that much in terms of efficiency. For years I flipped with a 6:1 reel - before high speed reels were even out. I'd worry about the rod before the reel if just starting out. Then learn how to pitch without touching the bait with your free hand.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

I've got a 9:1 Zillion on my flipping/pitching setup. I'm primarily making short pitches, letting the bait hit the bottom, hopping it once or twice, feeling for a bite, then making the next pitch. That fast reel allows me substantially more pitches during a day, and especially with this technique where you're getting reaction strikes by dropping your bait into their face, I'm 100% convinced I catch more fish because of it. I believe the fast reel helps more in this technique than really any other since all the time you spend reeling is getting the bait in as fast as possible to make the next pitch.

If you're pitching to shallow cover, I don't think it makes as much of a difference as there just isn't as much line out. I emphasized "much," as even with not much line out, more pitches = more fish. For stuff off the bank like pitching in grass (lots of guys in the South call it "dropping grass") which is what I'm doing 95% of the time I'm pitching, it makes a massive difference. I figure the average depth is 6-8 feet where I'm doing this, and it's not uncommon at all to be doing it out on outside weed edges in clear water at 16, 18, or even 20+ deep.

As for whether it's worth it or not, it depends on how serious you are about your fishing. If you're fishing tournaments, I absolutely think it's enough to matter.

To illustrate, I'll just run through a quick example. On its own, the 9:1 is 50% more speed vs. a 6:1. That probably makes it sound more significant than it is since only a portion of each pitch is spent reeling. Let's assume I spend 1/5 of my time reeling the bait in on each pitch which I think is a reasonable assumption. Also assume an 8 hour day where I make 1,000 pitches on a 6:1. That's 28.8 seconds per pitch (I'm never taking that long per pitch, but let's roll with it), that means I'm reeling the bait in for a little shy of 6 seconds per pitch, 5.76 seconds. If I switch to a 9:1, I save nearly 2 seconds reeling time on every pitch (1.92 seconds) vs the 6:1, now only spending 3.84 seconds reeling the bait in on each pitch. I'm now down to 26.88 seconds per pitch. That translates to an extra 71 pitches in this hypothetical day, or more than 7% more pitches during a given amount of time fishing. If you're in a tourney, isn't 7% more opportunities to put your bait in front of a fish worth it?
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

7. Member
    Thanks for the advice guys. I can get behind giving it a shot with my own gear and figuring out in a season what works for me before purchasing anything dedicated.

DrewFlu I fish one tournament each season, but its a smallie dominated lake so I'd most likely never end up flipping there. Other than that my "home" lake has a mixed bag of largemouth and smallmouth... my time on the water can be limited at times. I tend to cover water looking for active fish due to short windows of fishing time, but I'd like to have flipping/pitching as a option. I understand where you're mind is, I just don't think I'd have to give it that much thought because it would be shallow cover fishing for me most of the time. Also pretty impressive! Seems like your're dialed in on the water!

8. Member
    You will be fine with just about any reel as long as the drag is up for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Birdman2136 View Post
    Thanks for the advice guys. I can get behind giving it a shot with my own gear and figuring out in a season what works for me before purchasing anything dedicated.

DrewFlu I fish one tournament each season, but its a smallie dominated lake so I'd most likely never end up flipping there. Other than that my "home" lake has a mixed bag of largemouth and smallmouth... my time on the water can be limited at times. I tend to cover water looking for active fish due to short windows of fishing time, but I'd like to have flipping/pitching as a option. I understand where you're mind is, I just don't think I'd have to give it that much thought because it would be shallow cover fishing for me most of the time. Also pretty impressive! Seems like your're dialed in on the water!
    I wish! I'm just an accountant, so my mind naturally goes to the numbers first!

I agree with the above - no reason to mess around with a different reel in your situation. As Nowater2shallow and Xingeyeballs suggested, get comfortable with the technique, learn what you like/don't like/what works for you, then see how you want to move forward. My way-too-involved post is probably a good illustration of why pros tell you that you need a certain reel for it, but that's clearly not for everyone in every situation.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

Are you really flipping, or are you pitching? With the minimal line out on a true flipping presentation, a lower gear ratio would be fine, maybe even better. If you're pitching, then a higher gear ratio is better. I have tried pitching with 7'6" flipping rods and just couldn't do it. Shimano and GLoomis rods. Both were not enough distance and exhausting. I pitch with either 6'6" or 7' just fine.

Don't pay too much attention to what the Pro's say...always remember that they are both salesmen AND fishermen.
    Don't bother me, I'm screwing for virginity.

I killed a 12-pack just to watch it die.

11. Member
    I don’t know if his videos are around but if you can find Hugh Crumpner videos you will learn a lot. Go watch videos of the folks who started it and focus on what they say. It will save you a lot of headache. A lot of the stuff today is to sell you on stuff you don’t need. However, nothing wrong with buying what you want.

12. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    I agree with all the above. Use what you have until you’re good enough to know what you want. I use an 8.1 reel on a 7’6 rod. Works great for me, but I started with an old 7” MH rod and a pro qualifier reel until I was catching enough fish to develop a preference and know what I wanted when I bought a real flipping and pitching set up. Yes, they’re 2 different set ups.
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Casslaw View Post
    I agree with all the above. Use what you have until you’re good enough to know what you want. I use an 8.1 reel on a 7’6 rod. Works great for me, but I started with an old 7” MH rod and a pro qualifier reel until I was catching enough fish to develop a preference and know what I wanted when I bought a real flipping and pitching set up. Yes, they’re 2 different set ups.
    I appreciate the input. I'll use what I have and see if its something I'll even continue doing.