Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Rapala DT color selection

Hey guys! Have to continued to expand my color selections as my success with these has been a fun progression...in specific, one color that I haven't invested in is Baby Bass...for those that throw it, what conditions are best? Beyond the "natural colors/clearer water" thought...It seemed obvious to get some in bluegill so I'm wondering if you think it's a certain time of year it excels or just another "baitfish" color to see if they're interested in...thanks for your thoughts! BTW...new PB on Chart/Blueback this summer
    Last edited by ToyotaKev; 11-22-2021 at 08:17 PM.

2012 Stratos 189 VLO/150 Mercury Pro XS/MinnKota Terrova

2. Member
    "Parrot" is the color! It flat out fishes!

3. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bgibson View Post
    "Parrot" is the color! It flat out fishes!
    IDK why but charpoon (what we call parrot) blue back, chartreuse bottom, flat out catches fish in any bit of stained water! It took me a while to become a believer but I firmly believe that I only need 3 colors; plain shad, parrot, and green/red.

I have those 3 colors in each crank I really like to throw and those 3 colors get replaced most often.

As for Baby Bass, it looks like a lot of small baitfish underwater and depending on how fast you crank...I don’t think they can make out a pattern before they strike. My friend cranks so fast those fish better be ready!! He’s a great crankbait fisherman too, but he flat out speed cranks.
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

4. Member
    I keep Hot Mustard and Demon in a DT6 tied on all winter

5. Member
    Don't sleep on the "Caribbean shad" color. Its an Ike custom color. It is basically the "Parrot" color but faded and more subtle. Great for clearer water, brighter days or pressured fish.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bgibson View Post
    Don't sleep on the "Caribbean shad" color. Its an Ike custom color. It is basically the "Parrot" color but faded and more subtle. Great for clearer water, brighter days or pressured fish.
    Yes sir! My PB color

7. Member
    If you type in "What colors do bass see?" or "What color do bass prefer?" in your tool bar you might be surprised. I've done some research on this and what I found out is that bass see red, green pumpkin, black/black-blue (dark colors) and white/chartreuse in that order. I recommend that you do your own research for the water you are fishing. The information I've found is bass can't tell the difference between white and chartreuse or the difference between black and black-blue. I understand that all it all depends on the color of water you are fishing but it's something to consider. I'll add that all the information I've read does say that it's beneficial to use a chrome sided crankbait when fishing in sunny daylight conditions. As I said, do your own research. You'll find a ton of articles written on this subject. My lake has a ton of grass, rip rap and docks. My best colors are green pumpkin, junebug red, black blue, red and white.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fish365 View Post
    I keep Hot Mustard and Demon in a DT6 tied on all winter
    WHAT SIZE OF LINE DO YOU USE FOR DT6, BRAID, MONO, ANF FLORAL

9. Member
    My son and I caught over 23lbs at a private lake today on a blue herring colored DT6. This thread made me go out and buy some. Y’all will think I’m crazy for not throwing before, but I have never bought one till this week. Can’t wait to try them out on our local lakes.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BemisBasser View Post
    My son and I caught over 23lbs at a private lake today on a blue herring colored DT6. This thread made me go out and buy some. Y’all will think I’m crazy for not throwing before, but I have never bought one till this week. Can’t wait to try them out on our local lakes.
    Careful! I went from 1/2 to 20+ Then the Rock Crawler thing started...oooohhh boy! Your wallet WILL lighten!!

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hot rod View Post
    For me it's usually floro...10 to 12 lb Invizx

12. Member
    Tell me more about the rock crawlers...don’t own any of those either.

I've always been a hot mustard fan, myself, and never thrown "parrot" much because they're similar. Maybe I need to try it out some more.

Their perch color works well for all the bluegill/perch eaters here in MN, and I've of course done well on their bluegill color in clear water.

My $0.02: Think of them like original Wiggle Warts with better hooks and a little different sound.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

14. Member
    Made by Spro...I like the 55 model...runs about '10 (says 9-14ft)...tons of colors...I've liked them cuz they don't hang up on rock bottom much when bangin' em down there...for whatever reason, to me, seems like the DT's hang up more sometimes...like to crank quickly to get them down there and then kinda slow roll 'em...craw colors in colder water...DT's I tend to burn a little more...my $.02 anyway

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ToyotaKev View Post
    Made by Spro...I like the 55 model...runs about '10 (says 9-14ft)...tons of colors...I've liked them cuz they don't hang up on rock bottom much when bangin' em down there...for whatever reason, to me, seems like the DT's hang up more sometimes...like to crank quickly to get them down there and then kinda slow roll 'em...craw colors in colder water...DT's I tend to burn a little more...my $.02 anyway
    Thanks for the info. So do you prefer the original RK55 to the RK55MD and the RK50? Lots of choices with this line of lures.

16. Member
    I never threw the DTs at all but I thought the ike colors were real nice.
    2019 Alumacraft 14.5 escape tiller "child support"
    2018 Ford fiesta "pistachio"
    1992 kawasaki zx11 "legend"

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hot rod View Post
    Fall to early winter, mostly 12lb fluoro. As winter progresses, 10lb mono. Once the water hits the lower 40's you will get a lot of bites that will feel like you have snagged a plastic bag. I feel like the extra stretch helps to keep them pinned. I use a medium action rod also.

18. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    I use Pline CXX in 10lb for cranks or clear 12lb Trilene XT mono. The CXX does get some memory when it’s chilly but it’s a great line for cranking, and 12lb for jerkbaits.
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

Ike's Demon is a great late winter/early spring color in this area.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Quillback View Post
    Ike's Demon is a great late winter/early spring color in this area.
    Yep! Hard to go wrong with it in stained/colder water

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast