2003 Ranger 520 vx will not start- help

I have tried some basics but need further help. The keypad has power , all functions on it work with exception to start - engine. When pushing the start button - nothing happens. Next, I ordered a switch to bypass keypad- now I have a beep and I hear the fuel pump turn on briefly but still engine seems dead. Battery is good though. Just wandered if anyone has experienced similar problem. Thanks

2. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    When you say that you ordered a switch to bypass keypad, are you talking about the auxiliary key switch? Assuming that is so, and it’s plugged in correctly, bypassing the keypad, I’d then suspect something specific to the engine wiring. And the most common of those items would be the kill switch and the neutral safety switch in the shifter. Also could be a bad/damaged wire somewhere between dash and engine. Or battery connection corrosion.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

3. Member
    Hey, is the switch easy to access and check?Mercury 225

4. Member
    Or kill switch. I did notice when I flip the kill switch down, there is no beep at turning of the switch. So is that to say the kill switch is working correctly?

So you are saying there is a beep when you turn the switch on but the starter does not engage?
    Butch Derickson
    2011 Z521 w/250 hp SHO
    Traverse City, Michigan

6. Member
    Yes, I didn't have the beep until I bypassed the keypad with an auxillary key switch that I got from Ranger..I checked the main fuses( good) and I can even hear the fuel pump run for a few seconds - but the starter never engages.

Jump the starter directly and see it it will engage.
    Butch Derickson
    2011 Z521 w/250 hp SHO
    Traverse City, Michigan

8. Member
    Hey Got your post - hadn't had a chance to do this yet. Just curious- is this basically checking for bad starter selenoid?If it tries to crank confirms bad selenoid??

9. Member
    Thanks for your reply

10. Member
    Could I also just check to see if I have 12 volt power at the starter. Electrical tester red to red on starter and black tons ground?