Oil Tank Screw Holes

Question 1: I'm in the process of putting the VRO back on my VJ200SLETC. So I'm cleaning the tank and it's super filthy. But when I took the black protective cap off, I noticed there were holes like something else is supposed to be there. But my black cap has no hole. Is this an attachment for running multiple tanks? Pressure vent? Or is mine not supposed to have something there. I've attached pics relevant to what I'm talking about.

Question 2: The float that has the screen on one side and the oil line on the other side. Is that a check valve between where the screen and line are connected? I assume oil goes up through but not back through. I tried to blow through it and couldn't get anything out. Everything had a ton of some thick crud that solidified in the bottom of the tank so I wonder if the same crud is inside the valve.

Thanks guys.

20211121_124405.jpg

20211121_124408.jpg

2. Member
    Those 5 screw holes are for adding an oil level sender, same as a gas tank sender. Alternately an oil return fitting for an early Ficht engine.
    most likely there is crud in the oil pickup line and fitting. The crud is an indicator of moisture causing a reaction with the oil. In the very early years of the VRO system there was an issue of the oil gelling up with cheaper oils

3. Member
    Thanks! I got it all cleaned out. I bought the Johnson brand recommended oil so that's what I'll be using. Everything seems good to go. Was having trouble getting the tank back in because of some bad wiring, but that's a different story.

As far as the float goes, is this little circular disc on top supply to be the "float"? When this disc drops, the metal makes a connection. But I can't see why the metal would float on top of the oil? Is it missing a more bouyant part?

20211121_152257.jpg

4. Member
    The little float inside the cylinder moves up and down and the external disk make contact with the 2 contacts when the oil reaches 1/4 remaining. This triggers the low oil warning light on the system the system check gauge or tachometer. Meaning there should be a small amount of vertical movement of the rod the disk is attached to.

5. Member
    Gotcha. So the float itself is inside the black cylinder?