Early Spring and/or Pre spawn window

So, being new to the Florida fishing, i hear/read alot about how the Red Craw color in general, on Lipless, Crankbaits, etc. seems to work really well, during the early spring and Prespawn/spawn. My question is this. Prespawn is when? Do the Red Craw patterns work as well in Florida as they do, up north? Am i correct, saying early spring is early spring, like April and May, or does Florida have a different "Early Spring" for Bass? I know these questions don't sound like i am very educated in Bass fishing but moving from up north, when early spring was April & may, as was Prespawn, May, June, July. Trying to get acclamated with the Florida seasons. Thanks for any advice/input.

2. Member
    Really depends on where in Florida you are. This state covers a lot of ground north to south. Up here in the panhandle I would classify early spring as late February early March. Go south enough and early spring as far as bass fishing goes is right now lol

3. Member
    While I use craw colors year round in certain water clarity, mostly muddy water, It shines for me in 50° water. Up to low 60° temps. In most situations no matter the time of year or water temp or clarity a silver w/ blue back or black back will catch fish. There aren't many rock strewn lakes in FL. Where crawfish are abundant as much as shad or shiner as forage. I fish craw lipless and cranks in the Suwannee and Santa Fe rivers year round. The Suwannee bass especially love them

4. Member
    when you say Silver w/ blue back or black back, are you referring to Chrome?

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NHbassfisherman View Post
    when you say Silver w/ blue back or black back, are you referring to Chrome?
    yes

6. Member
    Most brands are chrome , some are silver, but yes chrome/ blue back works in any color water

7. Banned
    Are You hitting Lake Panosoffkee? if 'Yes' dump in at Tracey's, turn the motor just to warm it up; idle to the first loooong dock out of Tracey's to the South (right turn Clyde) tie on a Basstrix™ swimbait and throw towards the dock; hold on.

8. Member
    yes, i been fishing Panasoffkee, quite abit. And usually fish that right hand shore and around the docks/wharfs. Never used a BassTrix tho. May have to try it.

9. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by NHbassfisherman View Post
    yes, i been fishing Panasoffkee, quite abit. And usually fish that right hand shore and around the docks/wharfs. Never used a BassTrix tho. May have to try it.
    Only if'n You want action.. I won a Tx. there one time about 20 min. after it started. I only have a 18' Ranger w/a 150 so I wait until all the 'hole shots' then I go after everyone has left.

This I learned one time at Orange Lake after almost ending up all cockeyed after combatting that Heagy Beggy steep as Hades ramp and Earthworm77 (RIP Craiger) and I were bouncing up and down from the wakes.. been last ever since...

*There is also a Roland Martin show re: Lake Pan and the Aruku Shad™ look for the guest 'Bobby Bear' shows a couple different spots.

** If the grass is up and floating up top, a Frog is fun to throw atop those mats.

10. Member
    When I came here in early 90s it shocked me how different since there are no seasons and bass do what they want here. They get to feed all year long. IMO once you find their location it does not matter much what you throw. I use to have the highland reservoir tackle box full of everything. You can search this page and super studs around here have given their top five Florida baits which are spot on. For me if you don’t want to lose your mind FL bass fishing drag a senko slow and when you think you are fishing it slow go slower.

11. Member
    LewStulePH.D, Thats what i have is an 18' Ranger with an Evinrude 150. I seem to catch alot of Mudfish/Bowfin there too. I am still trying to adapt to the Florida seasons and just bass fishing down here, in general. Although i don't throw alot of plastic swimbaits on a jighead. I have them, just never been a confidence bait for me. I throw Senkos, worms, chatterbaits, topwater basically. I want to try crankbaits and spinnerbaits but never get around to it, as i am usually in a tourney and sticking to what i am confident with. Hows the upper end (Left from Tracys)? I heard it used to be pretty good, but i've never ventured up there to really fish it extensively, as of yet.

12. Member
    The upper left where the river comes is one of the most consistent parts of the lake and one of the most versatile for a few reasons. There's almost always moving water, not as much vegetation, some diverse shoreline, shad will congregate there. Sometimes you have to move around to find them, bit it's a relatively small area to cover and they usually show themselves. Graphing will key you in on bait presence and location and contours of the river channel. They had a flood last summer which decimated a lot of the beautiful eel grass and not sure what it did to some of the offshore hydrilla. If you can find any significant patches, it's worth fishing. Senko with a tail weight or no weight in the holes fall on slack line. Just let it sit. 10" work w/ A1/4-3/8 dragged slow when it gets hung up just jiggle it for a bit before you pop it loose. If possible a top water pretty much dead stick it also, and if it's your thing flip the vegetation, especially if you're around fish. If they are active and the vegetation is sparse enough moving baits is fun. Gonna get hung up alot but braid and a stout rod and rip it out. Fun lake to fish if you want to catch the bigger ones you gotta go in after them.