smoking a turkey on a traeger VIP 365??

I'm at my SIL's house for the next week. Going to use her traeger VIP 365 to smoke the bird this coming week. The grill has not been used for 2 years. I did start it up and it runs. I'm going to replace the pellets Monday. I'll set the temp to 300 degrees. The bird weighs 15 lbs. I'll put in brine for 48 hours prior to the cook. Is there anything I should be aware of using this smoker? Recommended pellets for this smoke?
    thanks!

2. Moderator
    I have no idea about that unit but for pellets/smoke I always use fruit wood for poultry. Mesquite and hickory over power it easily.

3. Member
    I have done my turkeys on pellet grills spatchcocked. I ran the grill at 180 for an hour for max smoke flavor then I cranked it up to 350 to finish it and crisp up the skin. I think it was a 12 lb turkey and it took about 3 hours. I did not brine.

4. Member
    Spatchcocked is a good way to go on a pellet grill. I'm going to try a Camp Chef turkey cannon this year. Using apple wood pellets for the cook.
    Make sure that you clean out the burn pot and vacuum out the chamber if you haven't already. The last thing you need is a back burn into the hopper and auger.

5. Member
    If you are going to use a brine with salt 48 hours may make it pretty salty. 24 hours is plenty for fowl.

Steve Dyer
    Mt. Pleasant, NC

6. Member
    We just did a 21 lb bird on the trager this last weekend. Took about 4 hours at 350. Covered in EVVO and some seasoning and then dumped cooking wine inside it and in the pan. Also injected butter into the breasts. Turned out pretty good
    Fish have fins, they swim

7. Member
    I always spatchcock my turkeys and chickens, once I did it the first time that’s the only way I’ll do it

8. Member
    Are the turkeys nice and moist cooked on a pellet smoker? If not, what would I do to improve moisture in the bird?

No need to brine most turkeys as they are enhanced with salt when processed. I usually use a Butterball and never had to brine it. I never spatch it either.

Follow this recipe from Amazing Ribs and it will be perfect, moist and delicious! The liquid concoction in the pan under the turkey for the drippings will make the best gravy ever. You will only need about half the liquid, the rest can be used as an au jus.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s