Boat steering wheel

Doing a bunch of upgrades to my 2005 Triton Tr186 this winter.... having the dash panel hydro-dipped to a black & silver color, right now it's a wood grain look...... I'm also wanting to replace the steering wheel because it has a wood grain look in sections of it also. Found a new steering wheel on bassboatseats.com that will match the dash color after I have it hydro-dipped.... question is, how hard is it to replace a steering wheel? I'm assuming it's probably not hard, cause it looks like I won't have to remove the steering column, just the wheel. Just wanted to know before I tried taking the old one off if anyone has ever done this before if it is simple or can be a pain? Thanks

2. Member
    It's very easy..... remove a bolt and washer....couple of taps with a hammer to "unlock" the key in the key way....and she'll slide right off.

3. Member
    If I can add to good advice, flip the nut holding the steering wheel on upside down first and re-thread back on down to the steering shaft but not below the shaft before striking with a hammer. The locking side of the nut can be damaged as well as the shaft with the hammer blow.

Steering Wheel Puller from O'Reilly's is your friend !!!

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/c...0/w80651?pos=0
    Last edited by wmitch2; 11-20-2021 at 03:35 PM.
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

Quote Originally Posted by Luke512 View Post
    Doing a bunch of upgrades to my 2005 Triton Tr186 this winter.... having the dash panel hydro-dipped to a black & silver color, right now it's a wood grain look...... I'm also wanting to replace the steering wheel because it has a wood grain look in sections of it also. Found a new steering wheel on bassboatseats.com that will match the dash color after I have it hydro-dipped.... question is, how hard is it to replace a steering wheel? I'm assuming it's probably not hard, cause it looks like I won't have to remove the steering column, just the wheel. Just wanted to know before I tried taking the old one off if anyone has ever done this before if it is simple or can be a pain? Thanks
    I might be interested in buying your old steering wheel if you sell it.

6. Member
    Thanks for the input guys! and wareagle24, I would as soon as I get the new one in and change them out. Just shoot me a PM if you want to talk more about it.

7. Member
    I put an anodized hub on mine, plenty of options for some high end steering wheels. http://shopping.rexmar.com/Merchant2...e=steeringhubs
    2023 SCB 20EF
    2023 SCB CC 210LR

8. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Why not hydrodip the wood sections of your current wheel to match. have done this a ton for customers. Not sure who your using but a "good" hydrodipper can do it no problem.

9. Member
    I had to use a steering wheel puller for mine. The size didn’t fit my boat steering wheel so I had to drill holes in the old one to make the puller work and that messed up the old wheel. I was ok with that because I tried every hammer, reverse nut trick and couldn’t het it to move until I got a puller.