Water pressure (new to this)

I had a mercury 90hp for 7 years and didn’t have a water pressure gauge. I always watched the pee stream. Now I have a 250 proxs and it has a gauge.
    I have a strong pee stream, but the pressure is around 2 at idle, and around 8psi while getting into it and running around 3,500 rpm’s.
    Everywhere says this is low.
    Is it time for a new water pump then?

2 at ide is good. run it up higher 5k plus, should be 15 psi minimum. Also check it on high speed turns to see how much it drops. You may be all good
    Please read the announcement's at the top and include all required info such as serial number
    Thank You Leon Pugh

1-3 at idle is normal and 12 minimum at WOT are the published numbers. 15 is better at WOT to account for the drop in pressure during turns. There are no other numbers for in between RPMs.

When was the last time you replaced the water pump?

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

4. Member
    I just bought the boat off an individual and do not know when they last did it.

Quote Originally Posted by r_marczak_83 View Post
    I just bought the boat off an individual and do not know when they last did it.
    Do it now (along with changing the gear oil) and you'll have some piece of mind.

Honora Primum Vel Nullum Omnin Honorem

6. Member
    I concur plus oil/fluid is much cheaper than parts!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryanmc57 View Post
    Do it now (along with changing the gear oil) and you'll have some piece of mind.

On a new to me motor, probably go a step further and do the recommended annual maintenance items in the FAQ sticky at top of forum since you don’t know it’s history. If the strainer is restricted you will be glad you did.
    2013 BassCat Cougar
    Serial # 1B962763

Also, if you have a Jack Plate, check your Prop to Pad measurement. If it's too high, like over 4", you'll get a lower pleasure. Most should run 3.25"-3.75".
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

9. Member
    On the Optimax you cannot rely on the telltale as an indicator for water pump condition since the telltale is the compressor outlet ONLY.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

10. Member
    Thanks all. I’ll schedule the maintenance on it this winter then, since that’s it’s down time.
    I will check jack plate height as well.
    Good info here!

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wmitch2 View Post
    Also, if you have a Jack Plate, check your Prop to Pad measurement. If it's too high, like over 4", you'll get a lower pleasure. Most should run 3.25"-3.75".
    LOL

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by apdriver View Post
    On a new to me motor, probably go a step further and do the recommended annual maintenance items in the FAQ sticky at top of forum since you don’t know it’s history. If the strainer is restricted you will be glad you did.
    ^^^^This is excellent advice^^^^

Do take time to read the FAQ topics...there are several that will help you keep that engine running great for a long time.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

13. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverFox579 View Post
    ^^^^This is excellent advice^^^^

Do take time to read the FAQ topics...there are several that will help you keep that engine running great for a long time.
    +100

Also, If you would, please take a moment to review the Announcements at the top of the Forum, and be sure to provide the Required Info (serial number) when posting. Thanks!

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wmitch2 View Post
    Let's be honest noone wants lower pleasure

15. Member
    With higher pressure you will get higher pleasure.

16. Member
    I have changed my water pump before and it didn’t help pressure much. I went back in and changed the water pump housing and it was back up to where it was when new. The old housing interior did have grooves in it and I’m guessing from sand running through it.