Nilgai success!!

Spent the last two days hunting a 10,000 acre low fence ranch in south Texas for Nilgai. I took a huge bull yesterday afternoon, and brother got his first thing this morning. These critters are super spooky, and seeing one for more than a few seconds is rare. All spot and stalk using senderos and field edges. I was exceptionally fortunate that my first stalk resulted in a bull on the ground. Brother went through the wringer with three long stalks that got blown before connecting. I watched him and the guide yesterday afternoon play chess with a big bull for 45 minutes before the bull got suspicious and spooked. I was slightly above the action and about 800 yards away. I would laser range the bull, then range my brother. They eventually got within 120 yards before they ran out of cover. There was a 10 minute stare down while they tried to ease out in the sendero to get a decent shot, and the bull broke and ran at the last second. His successful stalk was about a half mile on a group of bulls out in a field edge. The terrain and cover was just about perfect, and they popped out within 120 yards of the group. Picked out the best of the group and let ‘er fly.

BD3AA6BE-376F-4D0E-A46A-FA132540FB49.jpeg
    My bull. Rifle was a Ruger Alaskan in .338 Win Mag and 225 grain Federal Premium Trophy Copper ammo. Complete pass through from 60 yards and scrambled the boiler room something fierce.

7DE71801-1861-47D7-865D-36D6D69B169D.jpeg
    Brother’s bull. Rifle was a pre-Garcia Sako in .375 H&H Mag shooting Federal Premium Cape Shok 260 grain. Bullet was recovered just under the offside hide. That animal absorbed about 3400 pounds of energy and still ran 20 yards. Lungs were pretty much jello.
    Aaron Campbell
    Barling, AR
    2007 Bass Cat Sabre
    2011 Merc 175 Pro XS

2. Member
    Outstanding!

3. Member
    Nice!

4. Member
    I have never heard of that animal. How much do they weigh?

Quote Originally Posted by Transom View Post
    I have never heard of that animal. How much do they weigh?
    A mature south Texas Nilgai bull will be 600-700 pounds on the hoof. Nilgai were brought from India in the 1920’s as zoo animals and some of the big Texas ranchers thought they would be cool to have on their land. They are prolific breeders and there is now a large population of free range animals here. They make excellent table fare, and hunting them is big business.
    Aaron Campbell
    Barling, AR
    2007 Bass Cat Sabre
    2011 Merc 175 Pro XS

Quote Originally Posted by adchunts View Post
    A mature south Texas Nilgai bull will be 600-700 pounds on the hoof. Nilgai were brought from India in the 1920’s as zoo animals and some of the big Texas ranchers thought they would be cool to have on their land. They are prolific breeders and there is now a large population of free range animals here. They make excellent table fare, and hunting them is big business.
    I'm glad this got answered. I was curious and that's a neat story. Thanks. And congratulations
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089