Alarm 4 beeps engine mounted oil tank??

Serial # 1b916908 250 pro xs
    2012 Basscat Puma
    841 hours

As the story goes... everything fine until it is not. Fished most of the day and notices while running a slight lose of power. shut down turn key on only (no cranking) after about 30 seconds or so I hear 4 beeps and repeats every couple minutes. Cranked motor up did get on plane but did not want to run it hard before putting on the trailer. I have a service manual for the motor but very little information in there. If I am correct on the the 4 beeps being oil issue what is the recommended procedure to test. I pulled the cowl and tank is full. To me then either the sensor is bad or the float and magnet came apart. Is the sensor able to be replaced? I think I heard that the float is not and you must get a new tank. Also could the check valve have anything to do with this? Any info on this matter is greatly appreciated. I did check the remote tank caps are tight and plenty of oil. This is an original powerhead and have replaced the oil pump about 4 years ago. I do my normal maintenance.

Thanks
    Roger Jenks Jr
    2021 Bass Cat Lynx
    250 Pro xs 4S Serial # 3B010758

Have you read this thread? http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=528835

It could be any number of things. Do you have a Smartcraft Instrument?

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 06 SB View Post
    Have you read this thread? http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=528835

It could be any number of things. Do you have a Smartcraft Instrument?
    Yes I have read that thread but most all responses to a 4 beeps is the oil tank. Yes I do have a beede Guage. Don't know what exactly to call it but when the alarm sounds it displays a "W" and "F" beside each other and flash.
    Roger Jenks Jr
    2021 Bass Cat Lynx

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Roger- There are several dozen possibilities on that non-critical fault. Odds of "guessing" correctly are probably not in your favor.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Roger- There are several dozen possibilities on that non-critical fault. Odds of "guessing" correctly are probably not in your favor.
    Ok so what is your opinion on what to do from here. Buy a scanner? Take it to a dealer? Check some of the possibilities to exclude pieces of the puzzle? Water pressure is fine. Is there a list of faults that will store with the 4 beeps? Does it make a difference that I get the beeps when turning the ignition to the on position without the motor running? I want to sa e myself a dollar if I can but don't want to chase a ghost either.
    Roger Jenks Jr
    2021 Bass Cat Lynx

6. Member
    So with some help from Brandon (angle iron) I was able to disconnect the oil sensor without the motor running and jump the terminals on the motor side and turned the key on and no alarm. I then tested the sensor and had variable resistance. So therefore it must be float correct? The magnet must have come loose. I have read alot of issues with this happening. Now here is some more questions. I thought I had heard you cannot buy individual parts for these tanks but on European Marine's site it does list parts separately like the float and sensor. So, can I buy these pieces individually?

thanks
    Roger Jenks Jr
    2021 Bass Cat Lynx

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Doesn't list a float separately- but yes, you could buy "just" a sensor if indeed that were the failed component.

Tanks have been on backorder for a while now, just as an FYI.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Doesn't list a float separately- but yes, you could buy "just" a sensor if indeed that were the failed component.

Tanks have been on backorder for a while now, just as an FYI.
    I have found that out now. I did find one on <EDIT>. Hopefully be here soon,

Thanks
    Last edited by EuropeanAM; 11-23-2021 at 02:00 PM. Reason: Announcements
    Roger Jenks Jr
    2021 Bass Cat Lynx

9. Member
    Mounted new tank. No alarms and purring like a cat!!
    Roger Jenks Jr
    2021 Bass Cat Lynx

Probably not the same tank, but I've been waiting on a tank for my 2002 Opti since early July. Hard telling if I'll ever see one soon.

11. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cd4th View Post
    Probably not the same tank, but I've been waiting on a tank for my 2002 Opti since early July. Hard telling if I'll ever see one soon.
    There are many, many of them on backorder. Beyond frustrating, for sure.