2010 Nitro Z7 - 200 Optimax Pro XS

Looking for some feedback and logging my experiences for others searching...

Boat: 2010 Nitro Z7 Single console (new to me)
    Jackplate: 10" Slidemaster. Current Prop to pad: 2.75" (Note that it does blow out a bit on hard turns and initial launch in rough water, may have to lower it down)
    Weight (Cat Scale): 3300lbs w/o driver (250lbs) but on the trailer. Estimating the weight with driver and 1/2-5/8 tank fuel to be in around 3300 all in. I weighed the boat when I got it. I'm adding back some tackle and figure the trailer is probably 400ish lbs.
    Why so heavy? 4 batteries. Boat came with a Ultrex 112 - 36V. 2 of the batteries are forward of the cockpit right in the rod locker boxes/next to the cooler area.
    Engine: 200 hp Mercury Optimax Pro XS 2 stroke.
    Engine hours: 526.1
    New lower unit 1.75 ratios (20 hours)

Current Prop: 48-825940A48 . Mercury Marine 24P 4 blade Trophy Plus. (Note it has 22P stamped on it). 13-3/4 x 24P is box stock details; not sure if this prop is worked.
    Vent plugs: 2 large and 2 mediums

Performance figures currently:
    Time to plane 0-30 - 12.2 seconds
    Max RPM: 5300-5400 rpm
    Holeshot RPM: TBA
    Top speed: 60.5 mph

I've only had this boat a little bit of time and only been out a few times. Ideally over the next few weeks I can start to gather some data and confirm the top speed and max rpm on a lake I am more familiar with. Currently the bow points way high and takes forever to "break over". I'd like to lower that holeshot as I plan on adding power poles. Also I need to check the trim system as I cannot seem to over trim this motor and the roostertail doesn't even get close to the top of the cowl.

I have some vent plugs to test holeshot rpm tuning and a metal hydrofoil that came with (removed when the lower unit was replaced) that I may reinstall.

Next post will be after some test data and adjustements to vent plugs and jack plates to try to optimize this setup (going to bleed and check trim system before I go out) and chronical my results.

Tips/tricks appreciated. Newer to "faster" bass boats so learning as I go.

2. Pat Goff
    You always want to prop at the top of your rpm range. You’re 400 rpms from where you should be. That’s two inches of prop pitch.

Setup basics are you find your best top end performance then adjust your venting for holeshot.

Nitro’s are typically holeshot challenged and your window of speed/holeshot balance is small.

Adding poles are just going to make it harder.

So if we were heading to the lake to find optimum we’d be testing a 22 Tempest 23 Yamaha M and a 22 powertech TRO4. One of those should put you in that window.
    Pat Goff

Two degrees from center
    of nowhere.
    Smithwick TX.

[SIGPIC][<a href=http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=583&dateline=1498828542/SIGPIC] target=_blank>http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?t...828542/SIGPIC]</a>

3. Member
    Thanks Pat, greatly appreciate the comment and prop selections! Despite what I've been reading (everyone seems to be in the 25-26 pitch range) I've come to the same conclusion; may need a different prop. This prop has a 22P stamped on it, I don't know how to tell if it was already worked to a 22P.

When I'm checking for rpm at top speed the sample rpm should be neutral trim correct?

I want to validate data first and circle back, then try swapping props. I don't expect much changes to occur with JP/vent adjustments; maybe a few tenths of a second and may a bit of rpm change.

The Trophy plus is a great prop but sucks in the hole shot department especially one that has been repitched from 22-24. That is a big no-no. I would think a Tempest or Fury would be good props, even a Fury4 or Bravo if you prefer 4 blades.

Have you checked for a hooked hull?

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 06 SB View Post
    The Trophy plus is a great prop but sucks in the hole shot department especially one that has been repitched from 22-24. That is a big no-no. I would think a Tempest or Fury would be good props, even a Fury4 or Bravo if you prefer 4 blades.

Have you checked for a hooked hull?
    Yeah the hull is flat. Checked that upon purchase. I am assuming it was re pitched with the "22p" stamp on it above the factory 24P. Now I'm thinking I may be down a cylinder as mathematically it doesn't add up with the max rpm and the pitch; I should be higher. Maybe before I take it out, I'll test all the cylinders first.

Good deal. It may be time to check your motor, coils, fuel rails etc.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

7. Member
    If it's taking 30 seconds to plane and the bows standing up then you have a problem. How many rpm's are you turning when it finally breaks over? Ideally your looking for 3500 to 3800. Sounds like you can block all PVS holes solid. You can check the trim while it's on the trailer just raise it up until it clears the trim rams and the tilt cylinder takes over. Most Mercury motors won't show much over 1/4 on the gauge when trimmed all the way and the rest is tilt.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by swannyoutdoors View Post
    I weighed the boat when I got it. I'm adding back some tackle and figure the trailer is probably 400ish lbs.
    Why so heavy?
    I don't think there is a issue with extra weight like the foam being waterlogged. The package weight from the factory is listed as 3000lbs (boat/motor/trailer) so I think we can rule that out.

When you purchased the boat did the motor get a clean bill of health? compression test done?

The trophy plus is a big prop that would have worked better on the 1.85/1.87 lower units. With the 1.75 you may not have enough torque to really spin her up for a decent holeshot., you'll have to play with the vents to see if you can wake her up.

9. Member
    that 200 opti max is a 3.0l motor and has plenty of torque to spin the prop but if those batteries are 31 series that may be half your problem too much weight.

10. Pat Goff
    I want to know your WFO results, full throttle, full trim. There are only a few boats that run what you're thinking is neutral trim. That nitro is not one of them.
    Pat Goff

Two degrees from center
    of nowhere.
    Smithwick TX.

[SIGPIC][<a href=http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=583&dateline=1498828542/SIGPIC] target=_blank>http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?t...828542/SIGPIC]</a>

11. Banned
    With over 500hrs on that head its gonna be a little tired, was having same issues with 225 opti on nitro and replaced powergead injector service rebuilt fuel system. 24 Tempest-25 Fury 3 blade were best for 3 blades but that boat needs help with lift so Bravo 1 XS 24-24.5P - Fury 4 24 Pitch.
    If you can add a holeshot plate do it. Lightening the flywheel will help your holeshot dramatically.

500 hours is nothing for a optimax that has had the right fuel, oil, quickean and proper maintenance. Seen them still running well at 2000+ hours
    Thank You Leon Pugh

13. Member
    Seems pretty slow for that size boat with a 200 Optimax, a friend of mine had a Triton TR196 with a 200 Opti and it could hit 71-72 MPH. The Nitro Z7 is s different hull but I would still expect 65-68 MPH with that setup.

14. Pat Goff
    Nitros are built the way they are for a reason. This is not a slam they are what they are.

Most owners are first time big boat buyers. Not seasoned boat pilots. Most tracker dealers deliver boats exactly how they show up. They generally have no one on location that knows or cares about performance rigging, setup or driving.

So they are perfectly fine delivering a super easy to drive slow boat. They put the prop on that their rigging book says and send it out hoping they never see it again.

Giving advice based on a different brand leads to impossible expectations.

So realistic goals? I could maybe find him two more mph but could greatly improve holeshot and handling and give him a much better fishing boat.
    Pat Goff

Two degrees from center
    of nowhere.
    Smithwick TX.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pmgoffjr View Post
    Nitros are built the way they are for a reason. This is not a slam they are what they are.

Most owners are first time big boat buyers. Not seasoned boat pilots. Most tracker dealers deliver boats exactly how they show up. They generally have no one on location that knows or cares about performance rigging, setup or driving.

So they are perfectly fine delivering a super easy to drive slow boat. They put the prop on that their rigging book says and send it out hoping they never see it again.

Giving advice based on a different brand leads to impossible expectations.

So realistic goals? I could maybe find him two more mph but could greatly improve holeshot and handling and give him a much better fishing boat.
    I still think he has a problem or an incorrect setup, an old Nitro 882 with a 150 XR6 could run the speed he is getting.

16. Pat Goff
    He absolutely is setup wrong.
    His prop is too big and no one ever can run at that motor height. Assuming he measured correct.
    Pat Goff

Two degrees from center
    of nowhere.
    Smithwick TX.