Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bronzefly View Post
    Everyone is going to have an opinion on "the best" but these two are absolutely "among the best" out there.

21 Daiwa Steez AGS "The Sensor"
    Megabass P5 X-Bites

Fished in and around heavy cover, I really like the 21 Steez AGS 72H Power Pitch as well for 3/8 oz jigs.
    Stepping up to a 1/2 oz jig. Stay with the sensor or the bcII?

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishon!sc View Post
    BC2!

3. Member
    For 3/8 oz jigs…..Megabass P5 X-Bites is the deal. I have also used the Conquest 843 and 844. All three are awesome and you can’t go wrong with any of them. The X-Bites gets the duty in my boat. Super cool stick with a excellent power curve. Fish stay buttoned up.

Quote Originally Posted by fishon!sc View Post
    I like the Sensor for 1/4 to 3/8 oz. jigs. A full 1/2 oz standard to heavier wire jig plus trailer, in deep water or heavier cover, the Bottom Contact II is the better option. A finesse style 1/2 oz jig like the Keitech Casting jig with a compact body and lighter wire hook, the 73MH Utility Player is fantastic. It's really about overlap, other uses, and specific on the water conditions when choosing the best option from this trio.

5. Member
    I like the Sensor for 1/4 to 3/8 oz. jigs. A full 1/2 oz standard to heavier wire jig plus trailer, in deep water or heavier cover, the Bottom Contact II is the better option. A finesse style 1/2 oz jig like the Keitech Casting jig with a compact body and lighter wire hook, the 73MH Utility Player is fantastic. It's really about overlap, other uses, and specific on the water conditions when choosing the best option from this trio.
    What is your opinion of the target sniper? Not crazy about a long rod. I mainly pitch into thick cover or around docks.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scuba Scott View Post
    For 3/8 oz jigs…..Megabass P5 X-Bites is the deal. I have also used the Conquest 843 and 844. All three are awesome and you can’t go wrong with any of them. The X-Bites gets the duty in my boat. Super cool stick with a excellent power curve. Fish stay buttoned up.
    Im shocked that you compare the P5 X-Bites to a Conquest 843,844 and NRX 854.
    Tip together button the floor … they are Worlds Apart
    I was so disappointed when I got in my EX-Bites … was expecting something completely different
    2008 Stratos 201 Pro XL
    Evinrude 250

7. Member
    Agreed that they are different sticks if you compare them tip to tip. This is where opinions differ on what type of action/power people prefer. That is why I listed the 3. I have always fished Loomis NRX/Conquest for bottom contact stuff, so the P5 took a little time to get accustomed to its action/power. It is a JDM taper different than USA market tapers. I grew to really like it. As far as sensitivity, the P5 is right up there with the best. Again, all subjective. All 3 are great sticks!

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scuba Scott View Post
    Agreed that they are different sticks if you compare them tip to tip. This is where opinions differ on what type of action/power people prefer. That is why I listed the 3. I have always fished Loomis NRX/Conquest for bottom contact stuff, so the P5 took a little time to get accustomed to its action/power. It is a JDM taper different than USA market tapers. I grew to really like it. As far as sensitivity, the P5 is right up there with the best. Again, all subjective. All 3 are great sticks!
    I agree. The P5 x-bites is one of the best 3/8 oz jig/t-rig rods that I have used. It's always on the deck.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fluke1987 View Post
    Dobyns Champion Xtreme DX705c would be my vote...I have the longer DX 745c and it is an awesome 3/8 - 1/2 oz jig rod. The Xtasy 725C ive owned and its too soft for a 3/8 oz jig in my opinion...the NRX 854c would be in the same boat.
    The DX705c balances well but when it comes to sensitivity it don't even compare to an IMX-Pro let alone a NRX. Picked one up last year when they had their 40% off sale and still feel it was overpriced.

Absolutely love my Utility Player for compact jigs.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ThomasD View Post
    The DX705c balances well but when it comes to sensitivity it don't even compare to an IMX-Pro let alone a NRX. Picked one up last year when they had their 40% off sale and still feel it was overpriced.
    Agree, have never understood the Dobyns hype. To each his own.

12. Member
    The good old MBR 843 GLX made me some money on 3/8 jigs. My friend still uses his and loves it. I use an NRX 854 for 3/8 jigs now, but I'd use an 843 if I had an original GLX one.

13. Member
    While it may not be objectively the lightest, prettiest, or most sensitive rod ever made I love my st. croix legend elite (7' mhf). It's got great components, torzite guides, superb cork, built like a tank, and feels great in hand.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcoast Bassin View Post
    Im shocked that you compare the P5 X-Bites to a Conquest 843,844 and NRX 854.
    Tip together button the floor … they are Worlds Apart
    I was so disappointed when I got in my EX-Bites … was expecting something completely different
    World's apart in terms of?

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chode View Post
    World's apart in terms of?
    In terms of strength and hook setting power
    I’m not talking dragging compact 3/8 smallmouth jigs… I’m talking fishing full size 3/8 jigs with a normal trailer
    No way No how the X-Bites keeps up with an 844 Conquest
    Not happening
    2008 Stratos 201 Pro XL
    Evinrude 250

16. Member
    Bought a zbone 7’0 med/hvy + when they were on sale in July for dock fishing and it’s been an excellent rod 3/8-1/2oz jig rod for what I use it for (docks/medium cover)

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcoast Bassin View Post
    In terms of strength and hook setting power
    I’m not talking dragging compact 3/8 smallmouth jigs… I’m talking fishing full size 3/8 jigs with a normal trailer
    No way No how the X-Bites keeps up with an 844 Conquest
    Not happening
    That's a fair statement. Initially i thought u were referring to sensitivity but yea, xbites is def a finesse rod imho excelling in compact jigs, shakeys n trigs

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chode View Post
    That's a fair statement. Initially i thought u were referring to sensitivity but yea, xbites is def a finesse rod imho excelling in compact jigs, shakeys n trigs
    Well I appreciate you saying so…
    Ive been listening and reading far too many MegaBass fan boys Boasting about the X-Bites rod as this “Ultimate Jig Rod”

X-Bites is a Finesse Rod
    Finesse jigs , Finesse Soft plastics
    I know several guys including myself that bought this rod and were disappointed.
    Certainly not because of the quality or sensitivity. …It’s an absolutely beautiful rod !
    However if your fishing 3/8 Normal size jigs it’s way too soft.
    Thanks and Tight Lines!
    2008 Stratos 201 Pro XL
    Evinrude 250

19. Member
    A lot of 'the best' discussion is going to be subjective and experience based.

My primary jig rod since the Summer has been the new 7'2" Steez AGS Power Pitch. I am a huge fan of the 7'2" length as, for me, it's the best compromise between control and distance. I have been incredibly impressed with the new Steez line, and the Power Pitch is a rod that won't ever leave my collection.

I wouldn't sleep on the 7'2" H Poison Adrena either. As much as everyone likes the Expride rod series, I think the Poison Adrena rods are the best thing Shimano puts their name on until you start flirting with importing JDM rods or Conquests, and in regards to value-for-your-dollar, I think it's a dope rod.

Also, I am also in the club of 'the X-Bites is a special unicorn'. While it may be too soft for some, or too slow, or too fast (etc etc), I have had a wonderful time with mine and it makes me hopeful for the FMJ's inclusion in the USA Destroyer refresh.

20. Member
    Regarding 1/2oz jigs, you prefer the bcII over the power pitch model? Mainly a ballin out 1/2oz finesse style with craw style trailer. The new ‘21 steez ags rods have my attention, but I don’t prefer the 7’4”+ rods unless punching grass. Mainly brush/heavy cover and docks

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast