1995 200 efi issues

my son sent this to me yesterday after running the boat. It was the first time out in a few months but had acted a bit like this then too.

“Started fine in the morning both tanks about half full. Smokes like crazy tho at first. Drove around for a bit fairly slow speeds, once I got up past 30mph or so it would very quickly stop and then pick back up again, would do that two or three times within 10 sec then kept running fine.

Probably 1hour later if running fine we were trolling just in gear for a while and it stalled completely and wouldn’t start again for about 20min. I’d try to crank it for 5min or so intermittently and then let it sit, battery was cranking it really well tried giving it Gas in neutral a couple times.

Switched tanks and seemed to do good once we got the other sides fuel out of the line. But it died again after another hour or two did this to us maybe 3 times throughout the day. We were trolling with the electric a lot in between running. At the very end we were close to harbor couldn’t start it so just came in on the electric.

If I heard it start to stall I could sometimes give it enough throttle to run smooth again.”

Any ideas on what’s up or how to troubleshoot. I was on it a few months ago when it acted up going down lake. We were running at a pretty good clip and the rpm’s just died for a few seconds without sputtering or anything then turned right back on again. If I remember correctly it was almost like someone pulled the kill switch for a sec.

Robert

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    If you would, please take a moment to review the Announcements at the top of the Forum, and be sure to provide the Required Info (serial number) when posting. Thanks!

Probably will need to start with the basics: Compression, Spark, and Fuel Quality/Delivery Tests.

I would also make sure the BATTERY terminal connections are clean, engine cables installed FIRST, remaining lugs largest to smallest, and finish with a Stainless Locknut (do NOT use wing-nuts).

Verify ECU connector is securely fastened.

Clean the Cannon-Plug connector MALE pins, spread them SLIGHTLY, and reconnect/strap into it's retainer.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    1996 200 EFI S# 0G318848.

Sorry. And it’s a 96 :-)

4. Member
    Check your engine fuel line to be partically clogged,,,mine was almost completely closed off from inside fuel going from onboard fuel filter to the VST,,so I changed them aall out and it ran great….ethonal causes them to go bad quick

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Takeum View Post
    Check your engine fuel line to be partically clogged,,,mine was almost completely closed off from inside fuel going from onboard fuel filter to the VST,,so I changed them aall out and it ran great….ethonal causes them to go bad quick
    For cases such as this- see the FAQ Section: "Fuel Lines and Performance Problems".

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor