bilge transducer

I would like to install a transducer in the bilge of my 1985 184, without removing the 20-gallon gas tank (I removed tank in June 2021 for bilge overhaul). [boat bought in 1989]

There is 1985 Lowrance 1210A transducer very near the transom; it looses signal at maybe 5-10 mph.
    There is a 1986 Humminbird LCR 4000 transducer (maybe) shown in left picture. (LCR 4000 taken off dash years ago)

Would a transducer just behind the Humminbird work very well? I could probably install one there without too much trouble.
    I think the Humminbird transducer worked in that spot (25-yrs ago?). Don't know what happened to LCR 4000 or I could hook it up to see if signal there is any good.

TIA
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by tj; 11-17-2021 at 02:35 PM.
    Champion 184
    Mercury 175 EFI

2. Member
    First off I would remove that old one. Take a small wood block and a hammer and hit it from the side a few times it should break free. You could go old school and put the transducer for the 1210 in a spot you think is good, put a weight on it to keep it in place, put enough water in the bilge to cover it, and do a test run. That should tell you if you are in a good spot. You will have to mark it roughly and get bilge completely dry before epoxying it to the hull though. Do you have the transducer for it? If not shoot me a PM, I may have an old puck one for it.

3. Member
    Thanks for the offer. I'll probably order a PD-WBL thru-hull transducer for bilge and connect it to an X135 on right side of dash (flasher mode w/ Digital depth in center, depth alarms). Ti2-9 on left side of dash with 3-in-1 bracket on jack plate side. Ordered 18x2.5x0.5 black HDPE to raise them up a little on the console. (work in progress; have to figure how they got that Humminbird transducer wire forward toward shifter lever area)

Finished Ti2-9 2d/ds on bow with new 12-ga wire from battery couple weeks ago.
    Champion 184
    Mercury 175 EFI

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tj View Post
    Thanks for the offer. I'll probably order a PD-WBL thru-hull transducer for bilge and connect it to an X135 on right side of dash (flasher mode w/ Digital depth in center, depth alarms). Ti2-9 on left side of dash with 3-in-1 bracket on jack plate side. Ordered 18x2.5x0.5 black HDPE to raise them up a little on the console. (work in progress; have to figure how they got that Humminbird transducer wire forward toward shifter lever area)

Finished Ti2-9 2d/ds on bow with new 12-ga wire from battery couple weeks ago.
    The H Bird wire is going to be your pull wire. Cut it at the transducer, tape the new transducer connector to it, and pull it forward.

Do yourself a favor and get a 1lb plug of duct seal at HD or off Amazon. Roll up a wad about the size of a golf ball and mash it down on the floor of your bilge where you want to try your transducer. Then stick your transducer in it. Push it down firmly and you're all set. Works great as a temporary or a permanent solution. Did mine maybe a year ago and reads great even up to speeds of 60 mph plus.

Last edited by 86 inches; 11-20-2021 at 06:50 AM.
    1994 201 Champ re-powered with a 250 HO G2 E250LHAFA 05438419