Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tow Rig - Thinking out loud...

Am I crazy? Thinking about downsizing to a mid size truck. I currently have a 2019 Silverado Crew w/5.3. I normally get a new Silverado every few years, and have done this for the last 20 years. However, all trucks keep getting bigger and bigger and the truth is I don't need a huge truck. I may have 1 passenger a handful of times per year. Always use the wife's car when there is a crowd.
    The current midsize trucks aren't that much smaller when compared to full size trucks 15 years ago. Additionally, these mid size trucks now have the same or more HP than V8 Silverado's, F150,etc from just over 10 years ago. Anyway.. I'm thinking about the all new designed Nissan Frontier crew 4x4. 310HP.. tow's up to 6500. I used to have mid size Nissans way back in the 90's and liked them. I have a 20ft bass boat...but I live on a huge body of water...tow less than 4 times per year. Half of that towing is normally taking it 20 miles for service or something. Actually I think I only towed the boat 1 time in this past year. But I do plan to branch out a a little bit and try some new lakes within an hour of my house. Any thoughts?

2. Member
    Sounds to me like you are on the right track, realistically in my opinion the tow vehicle is only 10% the reason for safe towing, 90% is on the operator, and it sounds like you should be under the towing capacity anyways. Of course properly working trailer brakes falls under the 90% operator.

3. Member
    Yes, and I should have added, my trailer is tandem axel with surge breaks. Just had the trailer and breaks redone last year.

4. Member
    I agree, sound alike you’re on the right track. You don’t need a full size pick up to tow safely. Like Carl has said , the driver accounts for majority of safe towing. If you don’t feel safe towing a 4500lb boat with a full size truck, it says more about the operator than the machine.

Any mid sized SUV or 1/4 ton pickup should be able to tow a 20’ boat just fine (think explorer, durango, Traverse, 4Runner etc). Sure a full size will have advantages in stopping and pulling, but a smaller vehicle will be capable too. I think you solved your doubts in the latter part of the post.. If you only tow 4 times a year and expect to branch out only drive less than an hour to a different lake, sounds like there’s no need for a full size pickup unless you absolutely want the extra room.

for reference I tow with a v6 Durango and it’s been great. No issue stopping or pulling and never felt underpowered. I towed my parents 24’ pontoon boat this past fall. Weight wise was fine but the wind drag really required me to have a lead foot to get up to 55mph. I feel completely confident in smaller tow vehicles..

just be aware, the BBC truck compensators will come in and suggest otherwise. But they think you need a 3/4 ton to tow 4000lbs.
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

5. Member
    I went to an AWD Ridgeline for a couple of years. They are not much to look at, but they handle homeowner truck duties. I missed the interior room of a FS truck so I pay the 6 mpg penalty to drive one. The new Frontier looks to be a viable option as well.

6. Member
    It can be done, only thing that I would really struggle with is the cost of the little trucks isn’t much different from the full size and the space/use ability is much less. Also the resale market if you trade every few years…. Just a couple thoughts
    2019 Ford F-150 Platinum (3.5EcoBoost/10spd)
    **Listed FOR SALE**2014 Ranger Z119C w/ Evinrude ETEC 225HO Running Croxton’s Razor 4XL 25P
    Helix 12 Mega G2N’s with Ultrex
    Think like a fish, no matter how weird it gets

7. Member
    Resale on the mid sized might surprise you! I can speak to Ridgeline and Tacoma having stellar residual values. I agree the MSRP prices are real close.

8. Member
    Florida is flat to boot. I see no problem with it.

9. Member
    I tow the boat in my signature with the Colorado in my signature, no complaints. 7,000# tow rated.
    2018 AlumaCraft Competitor 185cs, 2018 Yamaha F150XB w/2019 Yamaha T9.9 kicker w/Trollsmarter
    Heritage Custom Trailer w/Torsion axle / Vault Hubs & 4 step Trick Step
    Terrova 80# 24v I-Pilot, GARMIN 126sv
    Towed by: 2018 Chevy Colorado V6 Crew Cab 4x4 Long bed or 2016 Winnebago 38Q

Quote Originally Posted by XingEyeballs View Post
    It can be done, only thing that I would really struggle with is the cost of the little trucks isn’t much different from the full size and the space/use ability is much less. Also the resale market if you trade every few years…. Just a couple thoughts
    Yeah, I agree. The truck can do it but when I looked into it, the cost and mileage were about the same so I saw now point. Spent some time driving my dad’s Tacoma a couple years ago and it made me miss my Sierra.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

11. Member
    Son has a 2021 Toyota Tacoma Limited, grandson has a 2021 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT with 6.2L. The GMC rides much nicer than the Tacoma, lots more power and gets better gas mileage. Not much difference in the price.

12. Member
    Not that I have any experience with one, but how about the full size half tons with the small diesels. I would love to hear from those with experience.

13. mikesxpress
    Most half ton trucks with a diesel can tow less than the gas version. Throw in the added cost for the diesel engine, 90 cents more a gallon for low sulfur diesel fuel, and added DEF fluid cost. Fuel mileage is about the same.

14. Member
    I’ll tow my 20 footer with my girlfriends equinox if theres more than 2 people going…. Get the same gas mileage as my 3/4 ton gas job too!

15. Member
    I have a 1/2 ton ram with eco diesel 2 Wheel drive and pull a bass at puma and get 19 mpg and don’t know it’s behind me and get 23 mpg in town and 27 mpg highway without boat

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Natedogg316 View Post
    I’ll tow my 20 footer with my girlfriends equinox if theres more than 2 people going…. Get the same gas mileage as my 3/4 ton gas job too!
    you tow a 4000+lb load with an SUV that has a 1500lb capacity? Ya got bigger balls than I do and I’m all for towing that with midsized suvs as long as it’s not over the capacity
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    Quote Originally Posted by RFSims View Post
    Son has a 2021 Toyota Tacoma Limited, grandson has a 2021 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT with 6.2L. The GMC rides much nicer than the Tacoma, lots more power and gets better gas mileage. Not much difference in the price.
    The 6-cylinder Tacoma has always been a gas hog. But it won't leave you stranded with lifter failure or for any other reason.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by G-man View Post
    Yes, and I should have added, my trailer is tandem axel with surge breaks. Just had the trailer and breaks redone last year.
    Brakes, LOL

19. Member
    I personally cant stand driving a mini truck.
    I get better mpg out of my 6.6 diesel towing or empty than my 5.3 half ton and way more power.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesxpress View Post
    Most half ton trucks with a diesel can tow less than the gas version. Throw in the added cost for the diesel engine, 90 cents more a gallon for low sulfur diesel fuel, and added DEF fluid cost. Fuel mileage is about the same.
    I live in Va as well and the diesel price differential is nowhere near 90 cents. Having said that, i'm sure there are some stations that will price gouge. The difference I see is around $.40 a gallon. Different states tax diesel at highly different rates. I shudder each time I drive through Pa at the difference and do my best not to purchase any there. The cost of DEF is minimal, especially if you buy at the pump. I have had diesel trucks since 1997, just have no experience with the smaller diesels in half tons.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast