Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Having a traditional bassboat, I find kayak fishing frustrating since you must use your hands to also steer/position/hold boat all while targeting a cast. Very fluid at all times. While I do enjoy it, very different than big-boat fishing.

2. Member
    Having tried a kayak but once in a while I enjoy my Carolina electric Twin Troller which allows for hands free fishing. It is steered with rudders and I have a 2.3 hp 4 stroke Honda motor I keep on an engine stand that I add if the lake allows gas engines, best of both worlds.

3. Member
    MikeKz. This is what I am wondering exactly. I am very spoiled with a very well equipped 21’ Ranger and I’m concerned that a Kayak is gonna seem like just a step above bank fishing. Nothing wrong with either one of those but I wonder if I’m always going to wish I could be further away than I can get with a Kayak…. So this gets me looking at OldTown Autopilots with a ultrex or Torquedo elec motors…. At which point I may as well just get a small bass boat since I won’t be getting any excersize…. I suppose I just need to spend some time scouting out what the fishing is like there and if there are some smaller bodies of water where a Kayak can be used effectively just to get me out on the water. Even if it’s just catching smaller fish with light tackle, I even do this from my Ranger on tough days and it’s better than no bites.

4. Member
    Don't look at it as a step back. Sometimes it's just nice to have a simple relaxing time on the water. Believe it or not it's not all about catching fish.

For me there are some waters that you just can't get a boat into, but you can get there with a Yak.
    2019 RT 198P
    2018 Mercury Pro XS 150 HP 4 Stroke #2B610068
    Twin 12' BT Talons
    4" Atlas Jack Plate
    Riptide Instinct Quest

6. Member
    I have a Hobie Pro Angler 12 that I take camping. It has the 360 peddle propulsion system and is awesome when you can't take the bass boat.
    2013 Bullet 21XRD
    2020 Mercury 300R 1E080760
    3 Garmin 126SV
    LVS34/LVS32
    Ultrex with iPilot Link
    8' Raptors

I've never been in a kyak.
    I have hauled my 10' pelican bass raider to Florida twice.
    It worked perfect.
    " Talking to you is like clapping with one hand "
    Anthrax

8. Member
    Look me up when you get here, I will take you out to Saguaro or Canyon
    Don Blume

2018 Ranger Z520C
    2018 Mercury 250 Pro XS 2B525775 2-Stroke

Past Rigs
    2008 Triton Tr186 with Mercury 175 Pro XS
    2000 Ranger R73 with Mercury 125
    1976 Basscat with 150 Mercury

9. Member
    Thanks for the offer dblume. Might be awhile but you will be hearing from me.

I have a Pelican Catch that I outfitted with a small watersnake trolling motor that fits into the slot where my pedal drive goes. I use it all the time during the summer when I want to fish smaller bodies of water and don't want to pull the boat. On the plus side, if you change you mind about it the resale value is usually pretty much right below the cost.
    2016 Nitro Z21
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by TMG View Post
    I've never been in a kyak.
    I have hauled my 10' pelican bass raider to Florida twice.
    It worked perfect.
    I did the same thing with a 11' Coleman crawdad.... the gators were very glad to see me!
    No one can be wrong that often so it has to be deliberate.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12