Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

2011 Mercury Optimax ProXS Cutting out

2011 Mercury Optimax <200> ProXS-
    Serial Number-1B866311

Motor runs fine while idling. Gets up on plane for about 4 seconds and then shuts down. No alarms. Will restart after a few seconds. Fuel line is gray with blue writing. Pulled fuel filter and it is beige in color. Did have a little black gunk in bottom of fuel filter compartment about size of #2 pencil. Fuel hose was not collapsed or crumbled on inside. Please help!!!!!!
    Last edited by EuropeanAM; 11-16-2021 at 01:49 PM.

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Does pumping the primer bulb improve the situation? When it stalls out or shuts down, is the primer bulb FIRM?

What maintenance have you done on this (recently)?

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    No maintenance done recently. When it quit, I didn't prime the bulb. The bulb was firm before I started down the river. Should I get back on the river and try again?

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    It will help to know if it is running out of fuel... if pumping the bulb when it occurs improves things, it's very likely a fuel starvation problem.

THEN connecting a portable fuel tank (with it's own line and bulb) directly to the pulse fuel pump inside the cowling, will help to determine if it's in the BOAT'S fuel supply system (or something inside the engine cowling).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    10-4. I'll hook up a portable tank with own line and bulb to check. I'll let you know the outcome.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Morespeed View Post
    10-4. I'll hook up a portable tank with own line and bulb to check. I'll let you know the outcome.
    WAtching.

7. Member
    I replace fuel line from tank back to the VST. Ran boat this morning. Got on plane and ran about 300yds one way. Turned around and ran about 500yds other way. As I got off plane the engine shut down completely. The bulb was soft, so I pumped it up. Turned the key and it wouldn't turn over (Battery charged fully). After trolling for about 100yds, I tried the engine again and it started. Did not try to run it againout of fear that something major is wrong.

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Morespeed View Post
    I replace fuel line from tank back to the VST. Ran boat this morning. Got on plane and ran about 300yds one way. Turned around and ran about 500yds other way. As I got off plane the engine shut down completely. The bulb was soft, so I pumped it up. Turned the key and it wouldn't turn over (Battery charged fully). After trolling for about 100yds, I tried the engine again and it started. Did not try to run it againout of fear that something major is wrong.
    That's good, but only gives us very limited information.

I'd recommend the portable tank with it's OWN SEPARATE line and bulb.

Be sure to check out the FAQ Post: "Fuel Lines and Performance Problems"

9. Member
    I ran the engine on a portable tank with its on line and bulb. Cranked the engine and let it idle. It sputtered as it idled but kept running. Got on plane and ran about 400yds. Turned around and ran back towards the launch. As I got off plane at the launch it shut down completely and would not turn over. Pumped the bulb but it would not start or even turn over. The horn wouldn't sound when the ignition was turned. I guess that rules out the tank and lines. Put it back on the trailer and headed home. It started right up in the driveway (muffs on) once I got there. Time to dig a little deeper. Where do I start?
    Last edited by Morespeed; 11-19-2021 at 02:49 PM.

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    -Check battery cable connections- Engine cable installed FIRST, remaining lugs largest to smallest and finish connection with a Stainless Nut or Locknut.

-Disconnect 14 pin keyswitch harness connector inside cowling and inspect pins. If there is an adapter harness there, disconnect it as well, clean male pins, spread male pins slightly, and reconnect (including locking bracket). Reconnect the 14-pin and make sure the lock ring is turned fully to it's stop (CLOCKWISE).

See if the problem persists.

11. Member
    I found my positive battery cable to be slightly loose as well as another cable on the motor. I tightened those and now the engine will run without shutting down. The only problem I'm experiencing now is it's sluggish when getting up on plane. I have a fuel filter on the way. Where should I continue with my diagnosis?
    Last edited by Morespeed; 11-21-2021 at 07:43 PM.

12. Member
    Have you looked at the plugs?

13. Member
    Looked at the plugs. They were all dark in color (burned). They were all dry. Which I think indicates that the coils are ok. What next?
    Last edited by Morespeed; 11-21-2021 at 09:07 PM.

14. Member
    If the plugs haven't been replaced in the last 12mos I'd do that first.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

15. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    +100 on the plugs.

Also make sure you're up to date on ALL of the recommended ANNUAL Maintenance (see the FAQ Section- Recommended Annual Maintenance....)

16. Member
    Recap- 2011 optimas pro xs 200.Serial Number-1B866311
    The boat would get on plane and shut down after maybe 5 seconds. Found some loose bolts under the cowling. That problem was solved.
    The engine was sluggish getting up on plane. Ran motor on a seperate gas tank with its on bulb. Engine still sluggish. Changed fuel filter and spark plugs. The engine is still sluggish getting up on plain.
    What do I check next?
    NOTE-The plugs were replaced about a year ago along with the compressor.

17. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Morespeed
    Found some loose bolts under the cowling. That problem was solved.

Specifically what bolts were found loose under the cowling? In many cases, simply tightening a screw may not be adequate.

18. Member
    The bolts on the starter solenoid contacts and the POS+ wire on the battery which I forgot to mention were loose. Also tighten one of the bolts on the alternator which I think was removed when the air compressor was replaced about a year ago. No problems starting now. Just was curious if the diaphragm pulse pump needs to be rebuilt?

19. Member
    Loose battery wire could very well be your problem.

20. Member
    I have engine shutting down part resolved with the loose connections tightened. What's causing the engine to lag when getting on plane? I'm down to the diaphragm pulse pump, VST, and Fuel rails. Everything before the pulse pump has been replaced with new.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast