Thread: Talon mountingo

Talon mountingo

I’m installing Talons mounting sandwich on my 6” setback.

Do I mount with the bottom of unit retracted-even with bottom of pad, or a little bit above the bottom of pad?

2. BBC SPONSOR
    The bottom of the Talon is going to be WELL above the pad of the boat.

Your measurement should be taken from the running surface of the boat located directly under the location of the Talon. Pulling a measurement from the actual pad of the boat would be the incorrect measurment to take.

If the Talon was going to be mounted directly to the transom, the lowest the bottom edge of the Talon can be is 4" from the running surface of the boat. This can be measured by placing a straight edge flush against the running surface of the boat and pulling a measurement up 4"

Since you are using sandwich style brackets it is going to be hard for one to say exactly how high you will need to mount the Talon in order for them to not drag. Furthermore since you are adding (2) Talons to the boat this will equal more weight on transom and the Dual Talons will have to be mounted higher...

If you are using a sandwich style mounting bracket remember the further the Talon is mounted away from the boat the Higher you will need to mount the Talon. If you are using one of the universal sandwhich style mounts ideally what you would want to do mount the Adapter plates to the boat and adjust the adapter plates to fit as close to the boat as possible. In doing so you will be able to mount the Talons as low as possible..

Here, I went back and dug this up for you to refer too if you have not already done so. Follow the link to the Talon installation guide. If you scroll down to "Mounting Considerations" this may help you understand what I have noted above as far as measurements etc.

https://www.minnkotamotors.com/suppo...talon#POST2018

Any questions fire away or send me an email also.
    Last edited by Hydrilla Gear; 11-16-2021 at 12:19 PM.

3. Member
    Thanks Hydrilla gear, by the way it’s going on the “wing style” mount I bought from you.
    Thanks for your hello.
    Jeff

4. BBC SPONSOR
    Gotcha Jeff,

I looked up your order. I don't recall what boat you had but I do see the bracket. Once you install that adapter plate you will be able to pull your measurements. On your initial trip to the water it will be better to be mounted higher vs too low...

I would say to maybe toss a set of wrenches in the boat with you. Probably wouldn't hurt.. One good thing about a Talon is they can be adjusted up or down pretty easy. If you are looking to mount the Talon as low as possible it may take a little test and tune on the water.. Too low and the Talons will drag. You will know if they do.. When the boats at rest the Talons will sit in the water. This is fine. Obviously you don't want them dragging while underway.. When you drive the boat and want to test for dragging don't only go straight. Slow down and put the boat into some turns.. Also take into account passing other boats etc.. I have heard of guys who have had no dragging issues under normal / calm conditions.. Then they get out on a tournament morning or tuck in behind a boat, pull out to pass a slower boat, and when the cross the other boats wake they find the pole grabs the water... Not usually a good condition...

Poles that are too low will drag under slower speeds when the boat is not running so high or up on the pad.

5. Member
    Rich, thanks again. Your kind of service to your customers
    is a very rare occurrence in our current commerce. You are always available to help your customers as well as not- yet customers.
    thanks for your helpfulness!

hydrilla gear is a great place to do business, guys.