Thoughts on a 2006 yam 200 HPDI

Original boat and motor with 50 hours on it. That can't be good for it to sit that long. I really like the boat that its is on, but question if I should even consider such a motor? I am no mechanic, all mechanical work now and in the future would be done by a shop I trust. Are parts available for this motor when things break. Are they good motors in general? Are they gas and oil hogs? Thanks for your time and thoughts.

2. Member
    Parts are available for sure. If the price was right, I would pull the trigger. That being said, be prepared for what I consider higher than standard maintenance. I baby my fuel filters by replacing most all annually. They do drink gas and oil IMOP, but it is a 2 stroke 2006 outboard, not a new 4S, so it is to be expected. There are plenty of people that stay away from them because of blown powerheads. They are strong motors that have available parts and plenty of people that do repair and upgrades on them.

3. Member
    thanks

4. Member
    I ran the snot of of one from 2002 to 2020. That was the 2.6 liter engine, but it never quit. I assume you're looking at a 3.1 or a 3.3. Same engine basically. I wrecked the boat and sold the whole shebang, else I'd still be running it. Only complaint - it was plug sensitive. Did not like fouled plugs. Changed them twice a year and carried 6 in the boat.

5. Member
    Thanks to all. I think I have made a decision.

6. Member
    If it is a 2.6 good. 3.3 l have some issues.I would stay away from the 3.3’s. Not sure what year the 200 changed

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishfry View Post
    Original boat and motor with 50 hours on it. That can't be good for it to sit that long. I really like the boat that its is on, but question if I should even consider such a motor? I am no mechanic, all mechanical work now and in the future would be done by a shop I trust. Are parts available for this motor when things break. Are they good motors in general? Are they gas and oil hogs? Thanks for your time and thoughts.
    Love mine--2007. Yes they are good motors. Yes they use a fair amount of gas and oil and I'd be concerned if it didn't. I'd change all 3 fuel filters, water separator , impeller and water pump, new plugs and run it. Run it gently due to sitting so much for a little while.

Enjoy
    We are all born ignorant but one must work really hard to remain stupid---Ben Franklin

8. Member
    The blown power head issue on the 06’s was on the 225’s and 250’s

there was however a oil pump recall issued in about 2008-09 due to an oil starvation issue. The recall cranked up the volume of oil flow and fixed the problem. I just bought a 06 200 myself, one of the most reliable fuel injected 2 strokes ever because they were still allowed to run them rich. Things started getting weird once the EPA really started
    Cracking down further on the emissions.

yes they burn fuel and oil, but I’m used to it having run a carb 130 on my first boat…I think I find my fuel consumption less now with the 200, probably because I run the throttle a lot less milder because then motor will hum along doing 48 miles an hour.

id look into seeing if the high pressure oil pump recall was ever done.
    06 Stratos 294 ProXL