Phoenix 618 with F150

I bought my boat used a couple of years ago and haven’t had a lot of chances to get it out on the water. In those couple of times I noticed it was really slow to get on plane and it was kind of annoying. I fished a tournament last month and had a full tank of gas full live wells and my partner. The boat just about would not get on plane. It was seriously 45seconds or more before the bow would come down.

I’ve added another battery so it has 4 lead acid batteries and I don’t know if that is a huge problem or not? The boat came with a 4 blade Yamaha 20 degree pitch prop and has a manual jack plate set back 8 inches. The boat runs great when it finally planes, but I feel like it just doesn’t have the power to get up with this prop. Rpm’s are in the low 3000s while is trying to get up with the throttle open wide. On pad it goes about 55mph with about 5800rpm.

I called a local dealer and they told me to get a 3 blade but couldn’t give me a pitch. Looks like Yamaha 3 blades are had to come by so I’ve been looking at Solas. I’m not sure what pitch to get moving from a 4 blade to 3 blade. Any help would be great!

2. Member
    The Yamaha Outboards website has a performance bulletin for a Skeeter SL190 with a F150 that has similar weight and hull dimensions to the Phoenix 618. Running a 3 blade Yamaha Pro Series Prop 14.5 diameter x 21 pitch (part # 6j9-45976-10-00), it listed a hole shot of 3.41 seconds with a top speed of 55mph at 6100rpm. This would be a good prop to test first. Also what is the present prop to pad measurement for your jack plate? You might need to raise the jack plate to gain some rpms with that 4 blade.
    Last edited by OnTRAK; 11-20-2021 at 12:05 PM.