Mounting Talons on transom vs jack plate

So, I just purchase a Lund pro V Bass XS 1875 and I am trying to decide where to mount my Talon(s). I have a Mercury 200 pro xs. I know I want an atlas Jack plate but after that Im just not sure. What are the pros and cons of mounting directly to the jack plate vs mounting directly to the transom. Also what size Jack plate do you all recommend and why?

2. Member
    Well, I just posted this same question with the same boat and motor about a week ago. Hope you enjoy your boat. I get mine next week. I talked to some people and my dealer and decided to mount directly to the transom. I like that the Talons are wider apart and very stable. I haven't been able to use mine yet, but my buddy has his mounted directly to his Lund Pro V and it has been awesome.

3. Member
    I believe if you directly mount to the transom you cannot use the tilt version of the bracket. I may be incorrect on this but it seems you would have to mount it very high to fold over and clear. If storage height is an issue that maybe something to consider.

I used a sandwich bracket to mount my two talons.
    2019 RT 198P
    2018 Mercury Pro XS 150 HP 4 Stroke #2B610068
    Twin 12' BT Talons
    4" Atlas Jack Plate
    Riptide Instinct Quest

5. Member
    You can still use a tilt bracket. My buddy has that on his Lund Pro V and another buddy on his Alumacradt. The dealer said no problem when we did the order. They work great on their boats.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FishMN View Post
    You can still use a tilt bracket. My buddy has that on his Lund Pro V and another buddy on his Alumacradt. The dealer said no problem when we did the order. They work great on their boats.
    Do they need to be mounted higher up on the transom in this case?

I have the tilt brackets on my rig. Need to keep the "Locking Slide" lubed with Anti-seize.
    2019 RT 198P
    2018 Mercury Pro XS 150 HP 4 Stroke #2B610068
    Twin 12' BT Talons
    4" Atlas Jack Plate
    Riptide Instinct Quest

8. Member
    I’ve done it both ways on two different PVB. My preference is the jack plate. Mainly because I don’t have holes in the boat. But if you use a hydraulic plate, you can lower the top of the poles to fit in a tight garage.

9. Member
    thanks everyone for chiming in.