Question Xpress 17' re powering with a new Merc. 75 hp 4 stroke looking for prop suggestions

My old 1999 70 hp 4 stroke Evinrude/Suzuki has a bent prop shaft and parts are hard to find. So i'm putting a 75 Merc. 4 stroke. My Xpress is a 2000 17 footer rated for 40/90 hp rating. Wondering what size and kind of prop to run???

2. Member
    Most likely a 17 pitch. Maybe a Mercury spitfire x7.

Friend has a 19 pitch Laser I could try. It turned to many rpm on his Ranger flat bottom with a 115 hp 4 stroke

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked on Legend View Post
    Friend has a 19 pitch Laser I could try. It turned to many rpm on his Ranger flat bottom with a 115 hp 4 stroke
    You could try it, But I think it might be a bit much. Before my 75 was tuned I could not turn a 19 pitch to max rpms. Would be worth a try though, your hull is probably more efficient than mine.

Quote Originally Posted by alanhore View Post
    You could try it, But I think it might be a bit much. Before my 75 was tuned I could not turn a 19 pitch to max rpms. Would be worth a try though, your hull is probably more efficient than mine.
    After reading a BBC post from 2020 that was 5 pages about prop's and flashing a 75hp 4 stroke Mercury that you posted in, I'm pretty sure you know what your talking.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked on Legend View Post
    After reading a BBC post from 2020 that was 5 pages about prop's and flashing a 75hp 4 stroke Mercury that you posted in, I'm pretty sure you know what your talking.
    I just know what works on my hull. A Xpress is a different animal. If you want to try a couple props I am in Prarie fishing almost every week throughout the spring, summer, and fall. Just PM me and can try some of my props. They are all 19 or 20 pitch though.