2019 175L Alarm Issue

Serial number 2B586624

Just did my 400hr oil change and LU oil change. After my first run, once the motor sits for a bit, when i go to start up i get a long warning alarm until i turn the motor over then it stops but when i go to put it in gear there is a delay. If i idle for a min, put it in neutral, turn off motor, then push in the “choke” on the ignition (i am aware that isn't needed to be done nor have i ever done it up to that point) then put it in gear and back to neutral, i turn the key and get the normal first beep and motor cranks fine, enters gear fine. Gets up on plane and runs great. Get to my next stop, process repeats all over again. Happened all day yesterday throughout my tnt. Any ideas on what could be causing this? Thanks for any insight on this issue.

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    That "long warning alarm" is a CRITICAL WARNING, which indicates you should shut the engine down AS SOON AS SAFELY POSSIBLE, and get it to the dealer for service. CRITICAL warnings are situations that are likely to threaten the engine's longevity.

Strongly recommend you get it in and have the G3 Diagnostic System used to print the full history on the engine.

BTW... have you replaced your Water Pump, Thermostat and Fuel Filter yet?

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    That "long warning alarm" is a CRITICAL WARNING, which indicates you should shut the engine down AS SOON AS SAFELY POSSIBLE, and get it to the dealer for service. CRITICAL warnings are situations that are likely to threaten the engine's longevity.

Strongly recommend you get it in and have the G3 Diagnostic System used to print the full history on the engine.

BTW... have you replaced your Water Pump, Thermostat and Fuel Filter yet?
    Yes, that was all done at the 300 hr service per the manual. Great, ran it like a scalded dog yesterday. ��

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Good job on the maintenance. Keep in mind that the PCM records the engine runtime at which faults occur, and how long the engine is run after that point.

I would again urge you to not overlook the warning... very few of them "self heal" and continuing to run the engine for an extended period after or while a fault occurs can potentially be considered "abuse or neglect".

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Good job on the maintenance. Keep in mind that the PCM records the engine runtime at which faults occur, and how long the engine is run after that point.

I would again urge you to not overlook the warning... very few of them "self heal" and continuing to run the engine for an extended period after or while a fault occurs can potentially be considered "abuse or neglect".

That is duly noted. I called the shop today and awaiting to hear when i can bring it in. Thanks for the reply. Have you ever heard of anything like this?

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Yes... and there are several possible causes. The PCM History will likely provide critical information to assist in proper diagnosis.

7. Member
    Finally got the boat in today and it was what i expected, the shift actuator. It is a recall issue anyway so i will be good to go. Found a dealer with one in stock.

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    You're absolutely right- would have thought that a dealer visit or letter received would have cue'd that to be done by this point.

Glad they're getting it taken care of!