Caymas CX20 set up help

New Caymas owner and loving the boat so far. Looking for a couple more MPH…would like to run 73 with a heavy load. I have more RPMs to play with…am confused which way to turn…23 Fury, 23 or 24 Tempest Plus, wedges, lower motor on the plate or I have a 25 Tempest Plus from my old boat I could have Mark Croxton work his magic on? Any hep would be much appreciated.

Set up – 2021 Cx20Pro, 250 Merc Pro XS, stock 24 Fury, Atlas hydraulic jack plate, engine mounted 1 hole down, lithiums, 2 Talons, flush mount bow 12” helix, dual mount console 12” helix’s, Ultrex.

Performance – 250 lb. partner, me (190), full tank of gas, live wells full, tournament gear, cooler full, air 68 degrees water temp 65degrees. Water pressure and engine temp are good at both of the below settings.

70-71 mph @ 5850 with jack plate set at 2-3 and full trim 5.5
    70-71 mph @ 5950 with jack plate set at 4-5 and full trim 5.5

Thanks for your input…

2. Member
    Some have turned 6150 with a 24 fury, wedges. But if you dont think your running out of trim, might not need the wedges. Many caymas owners have installed the wedges and loved them. Normally the 24 fury is the deal on the cx20s. Loaded like yours mine will only run out 72 to 74. I ran a 25 fury a while for my fastest speeds. The 24 fury was the sweet prop for mine. Someone will give their best jackplate numbers soon on here.

Enjoy your new boat Nick!
    Last edited by billproxs; 11-15-2021 at 11:58 AM.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RangerNick View Post
    New Caymas owner and loving the boat so far. Looking for a couple more MPH…would like to run 73 with a heavy load. I have more RPMs to play with…am confused which way to turn…23 Fury, 23 or 24 Tempest Plus, wedges, lower motor on the plate or I have a 25 Tempest Plus from my old boat I could have Mark Croxton work his magic on? Any hep would be much appreciated.

Set up – 2021 Cx20Pro, 250 Merc Pro XS, stock 24 Fury, Atlas hydraulic jack plate, engine mounted 1 hole down, lithiums, 2 Talons, flush mount bow 12” helix, dual mount console 12” helix’s, Ultrex.

Performance – 250 lb. partner, me (190), full tank of gas, live wells full, tournament gear, cooler full, air 68 degrees water temp 65degrees. Water pressure and engine temp are good at both of the below settings.

70-71 mph @ 5850 with jack plate set at 2-3 and full trim 5.5
    70-71 mph @ 5950 with jack plate set at 4-5 and full trim 5.5

Thanks for your input…
    One thing you might get your dealer to check on the computer is make 100% sure that you are getting 100% throttle. I have more than one Merc mechanic tell me that these new four strokes need to be put on the computer to get your wide open throttle setting right. Good friend of mine was off like 6%, he was only getting about 5850, after the setting he was getting 6200 and you can imagine how much speed he picked up.
    I run about the same as you but no poles, i do have four big 12 units with a dual mount at the bow and console, also have a rite hite live scope mount on my trolling motor, Earl tells me it cost me 2 mph lol. I got my best speed about three inches below pad, maybe a tad higher turning my 24 Fury upwards 6150 rpms running a hair over 78 by myself, 90% fuel. I took a customer out for a ride, he was about 170 pounds (me at 250), we hit 76.7 mph at one point, do think it would have hit 77. I had 10 hours on the engine at that time, have not pushed it very hard since, i was running about 90% trim also.

Get you about 20 hours on that engine and make sure you are getting 100% throttle.
    Be happy to talk just pm me and give me your number.

4. Member
    Thanks, I'll do that. Appreciate the note.

5. Member
    Ok thanks billproxs. And I am enjoying the boat!

6. Member
    Ok thanks billproxs. And I am enjoying the boat!

7. Member
    Thanks, I'll do that. Appreciate the note.
    Any time good buddy!

8. Banned
    Have your 24 Fury shaved and thats it. Jackplate should run best on the gauge 3-5. Let that boat lean a little at WOTWith the lithiums in there get as much weight to the rear left side as possible. Raise the anchors up as high as possible on the mounts if they are to low they can create drag, flip your bow units to sit flat, pull the bike seats/ chair out, take windscreens off, fill up passenger livewell only first then driver side only then both, Make sure you are getting 100% throttle make sure all steering components are tight. If your 24 Fury has the Mercury balancing tabs in it get rid of it, I have had couple people pick up 1.5-2mph changing to prop in same pitch without the tabs. When setup right a cx20 does not need wedges. If you are running out of trim keep raising the plate 1 at a time until you loose water psi or speed. If you want to add them do your thing but other than that good luck.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bentzboatwhisperer View Post
    Have your 24 Fury shaved and thats it. Jackplate should run best on the gauge 3-5. Let that boat lean a little at WOTWith the lithiums in there get as much weight to the rear left side as possible. Raise the anchors up as high as possible on the mounts if they are to low they can create drag, flip your bow units to sit flat, pull the bike seats/ chair out, take windscreens off, fill up passenger livewell only first then driver side only then both, Make sure you are getting 100% throttle make sure all steering components are tight. If your 24 Fury has the Mercury balancing tabs in it get rid of it, I have had couple people pick up 1.5-2mph changing to prop in same pitch without the tabs. When setup right a cx20 does not need wedges. If you are running out of trim keep raising the plate 1 at a time until you loose water psi or speed. If you want to add them do your thing but other than that good luck.
    This!^^^^^^^^^

CX20 doesn't need the wedges, and most likely the lithiums are hurting performance - they like backend weight

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Engelmeyer View Post
    This!^^^^^^^^^

CX20 doesn't need the wedges, and most likely the lithiums are hurting performance - they like backend weight
    They (lithium) didn't hurt my performance at all!
    Last edited by CaymasRodney; 11-21-2021 at 12:09 AM.

11. Member
    Ok thanks, apprecite your input bentzboatwhisperer. Good point on the anchors and tabs...I'll need to check that out.

12. Member
    Interesting...I may put a couple of sand bags in back to see what happens. Thanks Engelmeyer.