2005 Evinrude 175 Vindicator

Recently purchased a pair of subject engines.
    I installed on transom but not rigged yet.
    Want to remove plugs, spray fogging oil in the cylinders and spin the engine over.
    How can I activate the solenoid? Looks like the 2 low current terminals both have 12V on them. Not what I am used to....

Don't want to damage anything either.
    I have a manual.

Any/all input welcome.

2. Member
    A couple of ways are usual.
    1 - connect the battery cables. Then plug your key switch assy into the mating connector on the engine. Turn the key to the start position. Make sure you have the spark plugs removed.
    2 - connect the battery cables. Jump across the two large terminals on the solenoid.
    Question. These are pretty basic common procedures. Not intending to be disrespectful….Are you sure you have the skills to continue this rigging?
    other note: What is the engine model number? are you sure this is a “Vindicator”? Vindicator is a carburetor engine made by OMC. There were no 175hp vindicator in 2005- only Ficht direct injection made by BRP.
    Last edited by Bighare2; 11-14-2021 at 09:09 PM.

3. Member
    yes, I'm very mechicanally inclined. The engines actually came with push buttons, not key switches. Was originally a CG boat.
    I am replacing '95 175 Johnsons, the starting solenoid on those engines had ground on one low current terminal and 12v on the other when activated. Is this engine different?
    Last edited by ajv00303; 11-14-2021 at 09:17 PM.

4. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Yes very different, it is a FICHT motor and your old 175 was a carbed motor. Boat side wiring harness will be different as your old motor has the cannon connector (big red plug) and the new engines use the MWS wiring harness. You'll also need the oil tanks from the new motors. Spark plugs will need to be indexed when replacing them the oil system will need to be purged of all air and it wouldn't hurt to set it to break in mode. You should be able to spin the motor over using the bolt on the center of the flywheel. Hope you have a source for fuel injectors as they are NLA.

5. Member
    Yes, I can see how different the harness is, that's where my question came from re: the solenoid.
    The oil tanks came with the engines, I've already read-up on the spark plug indexing and purging the oil system (thanks for the heads-up).
    Hopefully I won't need any fuel injectors.......
    I plan on getting the diagnostic software, any preferences here?
    Question: can I connect the battery to the solenoid and operate the trim from the buttons on the side or does a portion of the harness need to be connected?

6. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Ebay for your diags, you can connect to the solenoid with your battery cables and trim and crank the motor. Did you get system check gauges with them?

7. Member
    Yes, all gauges were included.
    If I connect the solenoid to the battery, what is required to activate the solenoid? On my previous engines 1 low current terminal was grounded and the other needed 12V to activate. From what I've seen in the manual both low current terminals have 12V on them....
    Any recommendations for the diags?
    Last edited by ajv00303; 11-15-2021 at 01:52 PM.

8. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Evinrude diags on on Ebay but come from an overseas supplier comes with CD and cable for PC-engine interface ~$80.00 Solenoid connection cable from starter to one side of the solenoid then yellow/red from the neutral safety switch on control to small post of solenoid (should already be connected, ground is attached to the starter body and ground and there should be a black wire on the other small solenoid post.

9. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Service manual part number is 5006324 may want to try Ebay or www.outboardbooks.com

10. Member
    I have service manual 5005976.

11. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    The Military version has some differences. That is why they published the other part number for the manual for the Military version.

12. Member
    Guess I jumped on the manual purchase......Model number is E175MFXSOS.
    Doesn't show up in the above link.
    Hope the one I bought is close enough.
    I think some of the differences were to the water pump?

13. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Water pump is pretty common 5001595 and is used in a bunch of models. Can't really tell you the differences as I've never worked on one, they are scarcer than hen's teeth. Maybe Seahorse or Bighare2 will know the differences. Look like '05 was the only year it was produced. Maybe the seller has a copy laying around.

14. Member
    Sorry, can’t help with the differences. It could be a simple as graphics and a water pump wear plates. It’s best to go through the parts catalog and compare pages and part numbers. Yup it’s tedious work but that’s how it’s done.

15. Member
    Well thanks for the replies.
    So far all I have done is hung them on the transom.......was not an easy task alone.
    20211114_151745.1.jpg20211114_151753.1.jpg

Need to move the original engines out of the way and then begin sifting through the harnesses and gauges.
    I'm sure I will have alot more questions when I start connecting them. May start a new thread.
    Hope to at least connect the batteries and try the trim this w/e and remove the plugs and shoot some fogging oil in the cylinders.

16. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    If the tachs are system check they are plug and play provided you have the MWS harnesses.

17. Member
    Tachs are not system check, system check gauges are separate.
    Not going to spend any additional $$$ until I get the engines running.
    The one thing I am going to buy is key switches, the boat was wired w/ a toggle switch and 2 push-button switches (1 for start and 1 for off) per engine.