Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    bandit 300 pulls like crazy on a dobyns 705cb. the 764cb handles the pull good but doesnt throw light baits very well

2. Member
    My 2 favorite rods for fishing the Wart and RK Crawler are not crankbait specific rods. One is a RAZR 7ft medium power and the other a Denali Kovert 3 power worm and jig rod.
    After 40 plus years on Table Rock fishing the Wart I've learned that the ol' pulling the hooks out deal is largely over used.
    Something like the NRX JWR is too quick I think , but whatever lets you cast and present the bait properly is the one for you. Regardless of how it's labeled.

The ALX Rods ZOLO Crank is going to give a lot of feel and is very well paired with DT6 and DT10s style baits. Carbon fiber construction but it has a very deep flex that keeps fish loaded. Pairs awesome with a Bandit 300, which has always been one of my favorite crankbaits.

The ALX Rods IKOS Hustler is an S-Glass cranking rod that performs well with anything diving to about 12'. It's our most popular cranking rod and has that buttery smooth glass feel, loads up to keep fish pinned, lets the bait hunt very well and is not a physically heavy rod at 4.5oz.

4. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cidgrad View Post
    The ALX Rods ZOLO Crank is going to give a lot of feel and is very well paired with DT6 and DT10s style baits. Carbon fiber construction but it has a very deep flex that keeps fish loaded. Pairs awesome with a Bandit 300, which has always been one of my favorite crankbaits.

The ALX Rods IKOS Hustler is an S-Glass cranking rod that performs well with anything diving to about 12'. It's our most popular cranking rod and has that buttery smooth glass feel, loads up to keep fish pinned, lets the bait hunt very well and is not a physically heavy rod at 4.5oz.
    Alex, which would You suggest for a dedicated Little John MD/DT6 rod that may throw a DT10 once in a while? And, is it possible for either rod to be 7’2-7’3?
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

5. Member
    Could have either ALX rod custom built at a different length then the original, the “standard spec” zolo crank is 7’4”

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Casslaw View Post
    Alex, which would You suggest for a dedicated Little John MD/DT6 rod that may throw a DT10 once in a while? And, is it possible for either rod to be 7’2-7’3?
    I actually called and talked with Alex with roughly the same question. I already owned a Zolo, so I was initially looking at the Crank, but in the end I went with the Hustler and saved a few bucks. I exclusively throw RkCrawlers, DT6's and DT10's all with ease, I really love that rod. I have a Lew's 5:1 BB-1 Speed Spool on it.

7. Member
    I ended up buying the ALX Hustler after good reviews and research into the company. I’ve fished it once and seemed to like it so far. Thanks to all for the help

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by steve1206 View Post
    Which CBR? 845?
    IMO, the CBR845 gets on its high end with a 300 sized Bandit, but doable. I fish the CBR up to a Megabass Giant Dog X sized lure (roughly 1/2 oz) and even 1/4 topwater,but always with braid + leader.

I would almost recommend the CBR 906 for 300+ sized cranks, but it at 300 Bandit tops, the 845 will work.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by steve1206 View Post
    Which CBR? 845?
    I throw most of my shallower cranks on a GLX 845cbr. I also have a Dobyns 705 that I use some Like the Loomis much better. Never been a glass rod guy. To each his own.

My thoughts are
    Buying the Dobyns 704cb and 705cb made me a better crank bait fisherman
    It's one or the other for 90% of the baits I throw

Buy them used or on sale, they bend were they should and have a great warr program

11. Member
    Have you had any more time using the hustler since getting it? I ordered it and the rumble this morning.

12. Member
    My favorite is a Loomis CBR 843

13. Member
    I had ordered the ALX hustler crank rod last week, fished it and the rumble(chatterbait rod) yesterday for about 5 hours. The hustler is an excellent excellent shallow/mid depth cranking stick. I throw squarebills, DT4 and DT6 cranks A LOT, and have become pretty honed in and confident with the technique. I was concerned about weight and sensitivity, as well as worried it would be too soft/flimsy being all glass, i spoke with Alex before ordering and picked his brain about the characteristics of the hustler. Everything he described it to me as was spot on with the action/handling of the blank. it’s light, surprisingly sensitive for a glass rod (one thing I was most concerned, and then pleased with) and it has plenty of backbone in it. I would recommend it for anyone looking for a new shallow/mid depth crank rod 10/10. Caught about 10 bass, nothing of great size (2 1/2 biggest) but was pleased with how it handled the fish as well as being able to detect when I was coming in contact with the rocky bottom, which was key to getting the fish to react. The zolo rumble is also an amazing rod and did very well but did not throw it as much, I had a hard time setting the hustler down once i had them figured out on the crank.

14. Member
    Alpha Angler Rebound. Very sensitive for a glass rod. Currently on sale too!

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by YamahaRacing55 View Post
    I had ordered the ALX hustler crank rod last week, fished it and the rumble(chatterbait rod) yesterday for about 5 hours. The hustler is an excellent excellent shallow/mid depth cranking stick. I throw squarebills, DT4 and DT6 cranks A LOT, and have become pretty honed in and confident with the technique. I was concerned about weight and sensitivity, as well as worried it would be too soft/flimsy being all glass, i spoke with Alex before ordering and picked his brain about the characteristics of the hustler. Everything he described it to me as was spot on with the action/handling of the blank. it’s light, surprisingly sensitive for a glass rod (one thing I was most concerned, and then pleased with) and it has plenty of backbone in it. I would recommend it for anyone looking for a new shallow/mid depth crank rod 10/10. Caught about 10 bass, nothing of great size (2 1/2 biggest) but was pleased with how it handled the fish as well as being able to detect when I was coming in contact with the rocky bottom, which was key to getting the fish to react. The zolo rumble is also an amazing rod and did very well but did not throw it as much, I had a hard time setting the hustler down once i had them figured out on the crank.
    Excellent short review, thanks for sharing!

16. Member
    No problem man. Im happy to share the good and bad of anything i use, I bought dad an ENOX BMJ last year and was impressed by the rod on day one and am now even more impressed a year later seeing how well the rod and especially the cork handle has held up, as he seems to be able to wear them down like his hands are made of sandpaper (he fishes it 90% of our time on the water) and decided my next few upgrades would also come from ALX. Not being able to handle a rod before purchasing leaves me with a lot of questions, Alex was very helpful in answering all of mine and hopefully these post will help the next guy looking at one.

17. Member
    I'm using an 843CBR for warts squares etc less than 1/2oz. I'm fishing braid to leader but I may try just straight 12# Flouro...

If you can find a Saint Croix Premier Crankbait rod in Medium or MH action, these are very good for this application.

Basscat Eyra
    Mercury 250 ProXS

19. Member
    1F9CAB4B-A09D-4EFF-A5EF-D0D99A00F0A2.jpeg2nd day throwing the alx hustler landed me my new pb on a crankbait. I was happy with how the rod had been performing before landing this, and even happier with it after seeing how it handled a good sized fish. Several jumps and head shakes and the fish stayed pinned no problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Casslaw View Post
    Hustler is awesome - as the detailed reviews here show.

Crank works well. We can custom build a Crank at 7'2" or 7'3". We cannot build the Hustler longer, but have a few tricks we could use to get it out there.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12