gear oil change issue

This is what I found when I changed my gear oil this year. The oil is in a plastic bag. Should I be concerned?
    UPDATE*****1 HOUR LATER THE OIL NO LONGER HAD SWIRLS***************
    THis is from a 2012 175 PRo XS - Alos does anyone know spark plug gap?
    ser 1b886530
    pic2.jpg
    Last edited by theBaitBar; 11-14-2021 at 03:06 PM.

2. Member
    Picture from 1 hour later
    OIL3.jpg
    Last edited by theBaitBar; 11-14-2021 at 04:23 PM.

Looks like a small amount of water. Change all the fill screw and vent screw gaskets. I would also change the oil, at least the next time, sooner and check for water.

4. Member
    Routine maintenance information for your engine (a 2.5L vs 3L) is provided in the FAQ at top of the forum.

To be brutally honest, I don't get concerned with some swirling. If water pours out and/or the lower unit lube looks like chocolate milk it's time to get real worried. For your peace of mind, schedule it in for a pressure test to verify oil seal condition. If you're using the blue fiber seals, they must be replaced every time, if the yellow seals, every other time.
    Last edited by SilverFox579; 11-16-2021 at 07:16 AM.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    That is literally only a couple of drops... and may simply be residual, OR condensation of metal components. Would definitely replace the drain plug seals, however.

Moving your thread to the 2.5L Forum (correct displacement for your engine)- you'll find the Spark Plugs and Gap in the FAQ Section (for virtually any Optimax).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor