225 4s Motor Cover Loose

mercury 225 4s ser no 3B008279

How much play should be in the motor cowl. I can shake mine and feels real loose.

I dont remember it being this loose before but not sure if there is way to make it tighter locking.
    Last edited by Scott AU; 11-18-2021 at 06:48 PM.
    2021 Phoenix 919
    2021 Mercury 225

2. Member
    I would double check the latches and that it is hooked. Mine is tight and snaps down with the handle. Should not be loose. It is not the easiest to get back on. I had to do it a few times before I could do it without any problems.
    2019 Phoenix 919 Pro XP
    225 Mercury 4 Stroke ProXS (# 2B591262)
    MinnKota Ultrex trolling motor
    Lowrance HDS Carbons

You can adjust the pins that the hooks lock into yo tighten it up
    2018 TRX 18. 2020 Mercury 200 Pro XS V8

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Correct- if the cowling does not latch securely (so that it doesn't rattle or move around), inspect the latches and adjust if necessary.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    Thanks, I will take a look at it this weekend to see how to tighten up.
    2021 Phoenix 919
    2021 Mercury 225

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Scott- can you triple check your serial number for accuracy?

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

7. Member
    Don, I fixed my serial no.

Thanks
    Last edited by Scott AU; 11-18-2021 at 06:54 PM.
    2021 Phoenix 919
    2021 Mercury 225

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by thommo59 View Post
    Have a close look at the pins in the lower cowling, undo the nut a little and they move up and down. A tiny bit makes a big difference
    I loosend one of the nuts in the lower cowling that has the silver connector but could not get it to move any. Would that be the correct one or is there another way to adjust it. THe play seems to be on the passenger side an the front.
    2021 Phoenix 919
    2021 Mercury 225

Quote Originally Posted by Scott AU View Post
    I loosend one of the nuts in the lower cowling that has the silver connector but could not get it to move any. Would that be the correct one or is there another way to adjust it. THe play seems to be on the passenger side an the front.
    It sounds like you have the correct one, it’s the small rod that the cowling hook grabs onto, they don’t move very much and a little is a lot, just back the nut off and the rod will move
    Last edited by thommo59; 11-21-2021 at 08:40 PM.
    2018 TRX 18. 2020 Mercury 200 Pro XS V8

10. Member
    thanks, I will check it again.
    2021 Phoenix 919
    2021 Mercury 225

11. Member
    I have tried adjusting the pin on the lower cowlign again but the pin does not move any after loosing the nut.
    2021 Phoenix 919
    2021 Mercury 225

12. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Scott:

Triple-check to make sure that the handle is fully and completely UNLOCKED (button popped out) before setting the cowling down on the engine.

Make certain that the cowling sits evenly all the way around, and does not "rock" like it's sitting on an uneven surface (if it does, there's likely a problem).

Depress the handle-latch button, rotate the handle down until it snaps/locks. It should remain at that position (and there should be some slight resistance). If not, you may have a bad seal, or something that is loose/improperly secured in the cable and latch mechanisms.

There is virtually NO information in the Service Manual on the cowling latch system.