Thread: Electric truck?

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
    Banned

Electric truck?

I'm curious if anyone is looking at an electric truck to tow a bass boat with? I have a Tesla Cybertruck on order. 500 miles of range I would say around 300 towing. I'm looking at it like a mobile hotel room. Tesla super chargers popping up everywhere in Ohio. 500 mile fill up for about $12.00 at home. Any thoughts?

2. Member
    After owning a Tesla car, I’d bet your towing range will go down more than you are stating. Still fairly interesting. I have a Ford Lighting reservation and a Canoo reservation.
    2022 Ranger Z520R, 2022 Mercury 250 ProXS 4s
    Dual 16” Lowrance Live’s at console, 12” Live with Active Target, Garmin 8612 and Livescope, and Humminbird 12” Mega 360 at the bow
    Lowrance Ghost TM

3. Member
    I think it’s the way it’s headed in the future. Wouldn’t work for me, as the towing range is too short and the charging stations aren’t set up for guys towing. Would be a pain to have to park the boat, unhook, hook up again and start charging. That said if I only went to local lakes I’d consider buying one.
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package

4. Shutterbug Forum Moderator bdog7198's Avatar
    Take this for what's it's worth, was having breakfast Friday in Columbia TN. Conversation behind me was a guy who was saying he works for GM and starting next year they will be installing 60000 charging stations across the county.
    Prints and more available at: http://BSPhotography.co/
    Digital downloads available at: https://licensing.pixels.com/profiles/1-brian-shoemaker
    IG: BSPhotographyZ9

I'll keep an eye on things, once I see people successfully towing bass boats with an EV though the hills and hollers of the Ozarks then might look at one.

6. Member
    No.

7. Member
    You’ll slowly start seeing more and more of them. Way of the future- perhaps. Who knows, they may be fun to drive.
    2007 Ranger188vs, Mercury optimax 150

8. Member
    Nope, I will stick with the ICE for towing. I do think in the next five years or so my wife and I will own an EV for around town. It'll make sense when a used Tesla 3 isn't 50,000. I can buy a chit ton of gas for the tradeoff.

9. Member
    towing is approximately 50% less range talking about putting a battery on the trailers to up range when towing??

atlis truck.com
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by n2ratfishin View Post
    Nope, I will stick with the ICE for towing. I can buy a chit ton of gas for the tradeoff.
    Until the side pushing EVs start taxing the chit out of gas and taxing you for owning an ICE. It's coming.

No
    Bad spellers of the world untie!

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Asabove View Post
    Until the side pushing EVs start taxing the chit out of gas and taxing you for owning an ICE. It's coming.
    I think you're right.

13. Member
    Good luck and congrats on the new truck. I have no problem with an EV. Just that some people think they are saving the environment by using them. Nothing could b farther from the truth.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yatesville88fan View Post
    Good luck and congrats on the new truck. I have no problem with an EV. Just that some people think they are saving the environment by using them. Nothing could b farther from the truth.
    I’m not sure how to look at this. But currently no state supplies 100 % of it’s current electric power usage with carbon free electricity. So, one way to look at this is that not one watt of carbon free electricity is available for the add on of EVs to the network, unless it’s roof top solar. I do not believe there is any plan that increases the percentage of current usage to 100 % in 10 years. So any EV bought near term will be junked without ever using a carbon free watt. It’s nuts for the taxpayers to subsidize vehicles that will never use carbon free electricity.

15. Member
    The disparity between the haves and have nots will continue to widen as the wealthy buy and sell carbon credits.

Qiuck question about EV's, and I'm not trying to be a smart ass, well not too much of one anyway. But we have all seen guys loose it and dunk their vehicle at a launch ramp, what happens to an EV when it gets submerged?

17. Member
    I wondered about that also 11pounder. When I was looking I found video like this

https://www.cnbc.com/video/2016/06/2...ed-tunnel.html

It seems the brilliant Tesla engineers have solved the issue. Of course that's given yours is not wrecked and repaired correctly which could foul the waterproofing?

Quote Originally Posted by n2ratfishin View Post
    I wondered about that also 11pounder. When I was looking I found video like this

https://www.cnbc.com/video/2016/06/2...ed-tunnel.html

It seems the brilliant Tesla engineers have solved the issue. Of course that's given yours is not wrecked and repaired correctly which could foul the waterproofing?
    That's all well and good, but there is a big difference in driving through water up to the top of the hood for a few seconds compared to being submerged for an hour or two waiting for a rescue vehicle to come retrieve you from the bottom of the lake. And if it does leak and short out what happens to anybody that may be in the water near the vehicle?

19. Member
    I imagine if the vehicle is under water it'll be a total loss just like a ICE vehicle.

20. Member
    As soon as Toyota has an all-electric Tundra that will pull my boat through the Ozarks with no problems, I’ll be getting one. We are at the beginning stages of the transition to electric vehicles. If the EV’s offers superior performance at a reasonable price, it’s really a no-brainer. I’m looking for great advancements in the technology of EV’s soon. The fact that EV’s have fewer moving parts is a big advantage.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast