Thread: Hub Break

Hub Break

Anybody ever have a hub break? I had my bearing failure on my Ranger 2011 trailer a couple of weeks ago. Shop replaced bearings/seals/spindle and break pads/caliber. After two trips and about 300 miles my wheel looked like it was getting ready to fall off and rubbed the fender when I backed it back into my driveway. I sent a picture to the boat repair shop and they came to my house with a complete hub assembly to change the bearings out. When we took the tire off we found out that the hub had broken. It looked like the the extruded part of the hub broke cleanly and you could spin it with your hand.

2. Member
    Never heard of such a thing happening to a hub. Was Ranger still using the Vortex hub in 2011 or the Vault system?

Have seen one with a piece broke off. only part of the break had shiny metal.
    Figured it was a bad casting job

4. Member
    I have seen hubs break. When a bearing goes and creates heat it can weaken the hub.
    Fish have fins, they swim

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PJ-Rohlf View Post
    I have seen hubs break. When a bearing goes and creates heat it can weaken the hub.
    Well I did have a bearing failure about a month or so earlier that got the wheel pretty warm. Lot's of smoke before I got it pulled over.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LikeToFish View Post
    Never heard of such a thing happening to a hub. Was Ranger still using the Vortex hub in 2011 or the Vault system?
    Vault hubs.

7. Member
    Pounding the races out of that previously overheated hub probably didn't help it either...
    Phillip "Wade" Norris
    2015 Ranger Z520C
    250 Merc Optimax Pro XS (S# 2B113454)
    25P Fury - 4 blade all holes open

8. Member
    Did they inspect the spindle while they were there. A buddy of mine had 3 bearing failures in a short window (last one broke the hub and sent the wheel rolling down the ditch) and it was determined they were going out so often due to the spindle being worn but appearing "OK"
    Fish have fins, they swim

9. Member
    The spindle was replaced when the bearing failure happened a month or so ago. It's a torsion bar axle so the spindle just bolts on. Easy to replace. The more I think about it I think the repair shop beat on the hub to much to get it off. They whacked on it pretty good in my driveway to get it off to fix it.

Quote Originally Posted by PJ-Rohlf View Post
    Did they inspect the spindle while they were there. A buddy of mine had 3 bearing failures in a short window (last one broke the hub and sent the wheel rolling down the ditch) and it was determined they were going out so often due to the spindle being worn but appearing "OK"