Merc. Trophy or Trophy Plus

I am asking advice on a prop as I cant find a loaner nor a loaner program to test out a new prop.
    I have a 25P 4 blade Trophy Plus and I may have found a 23P 4 blade Trophy.
    I am asking advice as props are expensive to buy and maybe buy one may not work to my satisfaction.
    Ok, here is my setup..
    2006 Nitro 750 NX / SC
    2005 135 hp Mercury Optimax serial # 1B072275
    6 inch manual jackplate
    3 inch PTP
    WOT is adjusted fine
    smartcraft readings with full tank, just me, 3 non lithium batteries and full tournament gear.
    5250 WOT rpms, 56 mph. It starts to chine walk at 57 so I just back off.
    Although I'm happy with this setup, the recommended rpm range should be 5000-5600.
    I tried out a friends 21 pitch and it was way under propped.
    I would like to stay with a 4 blade prop.
    What do you guys think?
    Should I leave it alone with these rpms or should I try my luck on that Trophy or another?
    I really appreciate any input.
    Last edited by Aj14; 11-13-2021 at 07:12 AM. Reason: forgot hp rating

2. Member
    A non-Plus Trophy is a tad smaller diameter and has thinner blades than the Trophy Plus. With your smaller boat that might work well. That and the fact that it has a lower pitch will increase RPMs at WOT. However, you mentioned that you’re backing off due to chine walk. Are you saying the RPMs would continue to climb if you didn’t have to back off? You may want to address that before you can get a good answer about different prop choices.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bware View Post
    A non-Plus Trophy is a tad smaller diameter and has thinner blades than the Trophy Plus. With your smaller boat that might work well. That and the fact that it has a lower pitch will increase RPMs at WOT. However, you mentioned that you’re backing off due to chine walk. Are you saying the RPMs would continue to climb if you didn’t have to back off? You may want to address that before you can get a good answer about different prop choices.
    I believe they would climb along with the speed but I think it was about maxxed out anyway. What do you mean by "address this"?
    Thank you

If your backing off due to chine walk we should learn to eliminate that so you can stay wide open throttle to see where max rpm is.
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishysam View Post
    If your backing off due to chine walk we should learn to eliminate that so you can stay wide open throttle to see where max rpm is.
    Ok I get that. Thanks

Chine walking at 57 mph might indicate the motor may be too low.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 21XDC View Post
    Chine walking at 57 mph might indicate the motor may be too low.
    should I take my chances with buying that trophy prop?

I'd try and find a 23P trophy plus to test. They are very common.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

9. Member
    raise your motor, rpms will likely rise as well. Chine walking happens when too much lower unit in the water, and prop torque twisting the boat. Also, you want a prop that will turn in the cooler weather at or close to max rpm for your motor. Trophy's, whichever version, are good props, but not top speed. My experience is a Tempest Plus, run about 2" prop to pad, will run faster and less chine walk than any Trophy. The 23 Trophy should be ok, raise the prop to pad to 2" though to stop the walking. Tempest will give you more bow lift and higher speed, Trophy (either version) will help blast off and low speed handling. It is a frustrating experience trying to find the right prop, and can get really expensive. Trophy and Tempest, pitched same, turn same RPMS, as the 4 blade is smaller than the 3 blade, offsetting the additional blade, 14.625" tempest, vs 13.750" Trophy.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Stephens View Post
    raise your motor, rpms will likely rise as well. Chine walking happens when too much lower unit in the water, and prop torque twisting the boat. Also, you want a prop that will turn in the cooler weather at or close to max rpm for your motor. Trophy's, whichever version, are good props, but not top speed. My experience is a Tempest Plus, run about 2" prop to pad, will run faster and less chine walk than any Trophy. The 23 Trophy should be ok, raise the prop to pad to 2" though to stop the walking. Tempest will give you more bow lift and higher speed, Trophy (either version) will help blast off and low speed handling. It is a frustrating experience trying to find the right prop, and can get really expensive. Trophy and Tempest, pitched same, turn same RPMS, as the 4 blade is smaller than the 3 blade, offsetting the additional blade, 14.625" tempest, vs 13.750" Trophy.
    Thanks Mike. Good information. I think I may try to find a Trophy Plus and if not a Trophy as I keep hearing a four blade is supposed to be better for rough water handling which I seem to get into a lot.
    Thank you

the non plus doesn't have PVS holes. . I had a 24 trophy on my 115 750 and had to drill the holes
    2011 Ranger z521/2023 250ProXS

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1BADAIR View Post
    the non plus doesn't have PVS holes. . I had a 24 trophy on my 115 750 and had to drill the holes
    That is a good point as my Trophy Plus does have PVS holes. Then maybe I may be safer to stay with the Plus.

13. Member
    Some generation of trophy props have rectangular holes, like the early tempest (torrent) props, some don't. have to be careful with older props. Croxton will add PVS holes for $100, plus shipping, so not a deal breaker. 4 blades, in general, hold the water better in rough water and tight turns, but a well setup boat can operate with 3 or 4 blades. I prefer a 4 blade prop in general due to low speed handling, but I have to say changing to the tempest plus, worked by Mark Croxton for bow lift (trailing edge cup), works really well on my ranger Z521L, far better than the original Fury 4 or Revolution 4 I tried.

14. Member
    As of right now I'm not going to raise or lower anything as I just ordered lithium batteries and Andy mentioned that I may have to lower the motor due to less weight in the transom area.
    I will be posting soon for a 23 Trophy on this site to purchase.
    Thanks for the additional advice.