Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    LOVELOVELOVE my Ronin for jerkbaits. Mine paired with Vanford 3000, braid to leader…perfect. When jerkbaiting all day I have the expride casting and ronin on deck….switch up when my arm gets tired.

-Matt
    -Matt

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MainelySmallmouth View Post
    Unless you are fishing 6lb test floro on a spinning rod, which I would never recommend for jerkbait fishing, floro is a management nightmare on a spinning rod. Braid manages better, casts farther and lasts longer. Braid to leader all the way IMHO... I throw 15lb Vermillion Red Power Pro Braid to a Seaguar Red Label 10lb Floro leader of between 10 and 15 feet.
    Right on...I always fish braid to leader on spinning, granted I use a shorter 3-4 foot leader.

3. Member
    I have fished the Ronin and it is a GREAT jerkbait rod, but of all the spinning rods I have fished jerkbaits with my hands down favorite is the Shimano Expride 6'8" Medium Heavy Fast Action. I have two of them. The butt section of this rod is short and compact, making it perfect for working a jerkbait and the action is perfect for working jerkbaits and keeping fish pinned all the way back to the boat. I can't recall having lost a fish that I have hooked on these rods. I have them paired with Daiwa 18 Caldia LT 3000 CXH, awesome combo, allowing me to throw jerkbaits a MILE. The bonus of this combo is when I am not throwing a jerkbait, these are excellent top water, ie popper rods and small walking baits.
    I’ve owned a couple Expride casting rods and really liked them, so I’ll definitely look at this one too. Any particular reason you like the Expride over the Ronin?

4. Member
    I use the expride 7ft medium spinning rod. Works well for the 110 sized baits, might want to go lighter if you throw the smaller jerkbaits.

5. Member
    I didn't read any other comments so I apologize if this is a major repeat.

I own two spinning combos I love for jerkbaits. Megabass Orochi XX Ronin and Daiwa Kage 6'10 jerkbait rod. The Daiwa Kage is super affordable and I use it a ton!

6. Member
    Thanks for all the great info and suggestions. Just ordered the Orochi XX Ronin from The Tackle Trap and was able to work out a trade with a fellow BBC member on a Daiwa XFIRE 2510PE-H JDM spinning reel, so I think I'm all set! Can't wait to get them and use them!

7. Member
    I know I will get some remarks because of the $, but I travel a few times a year to MN, and have caught hundreds of 3-5lb smallies on an Abu Revo X20 spinning reel. Very smooth, lightweight, solid frame and great drag. $100. Grab a 6’9” med spinning rod, and your set
    for jerkbaits. I use the same combo for skipping senkos under docks, and Ned rigs.

Quote Originally Posted by coreynov902 View Post
    Thanks for all the great info and suggestions. Just ordered the Orochi XX Ronin from The Tackle Trap and was able to work out a trade with a fellow BBC member on a Daiwa XFIRE 2510PE-H JDM spinning reel, so I think I'm all set! Can't wait to get them and use them!

You will love it
    I have a Ronin with a dawia balistic. One of my favorite rods.
    " Talking to you is like clapping with one hand "
    Anthrax

9. Member
    I have to agree with the one poster who suggested that you can get a really good outfit for less than $400 - $500. Go ahead if you have the money but I think there are many suitable combos that could be had for no more than $250.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ttranger View Post
    I have to agree with the one poster who suggested that you can get a really good outfit for less than $400 - $500. Go ahead if you have the money but I think there are many suitable combos that could be had for no more than $250.
    That's a fair opinion.. but at least help the guy out and give him some options in that range?
    2023 Puma STS

11. Member
    I have no disagreement with anyone that said I could get a combo for much less than my budget. I'm sure I could have. In particular with the rod, I have read articles and watched videos about fishing a jerkbait properly without wearing yourself out quickly and the person always says that having the correct rod is a big key to this. I'm sure there is a $100-$150 rod out there that is a great jerkbait rod, but I am familiar with the Megabass brand since I own several Megabass rods and I have never had one of their rods that I didn't like. I've also never been steered the wrong direction from Gary at The Tackle Trap when he has recommended a particular rod. And the Ronin was designed specifically for jerkbaits. That's why I went with the Ronin instead of a more budget-friendly rod.

12. Member
    You’d have to go with a lower-end reel to keep near your budget but I love throwing jerkbaits on my MB P5 Windbuster. It can handle 110 size baits no problem but is also great for more finesse type stuff. Ended up buying a 2nd one so that I can use one as a dedicated JB rod and the other for free rig, dropshot, etc.

13. Member
    Unless you are fishing 6lb test floro on a spinning rod, which I would never recommend for jerkbait fishing, floro is a management nightmare on a spinning rod. Braid manages better, casts farther and lasts longer. Braid to leader all the way IMHO... I throw 15lb Vermillion Red Power Pro Braid to a Seaguar Red Label 10lb Floro leader of between 10 and 15 feet.

14. Member
    I switched to Spinning rods for jerkbaits a few years ago. I have tried 7' down to 6' rods. Try the Abu Garcia Veritas 6'6" M. It is a quality rod for jerkbaits. You don't need sensitivity and you need a crisp tip. Spend your money on a Sweet Reel and throw it on a Veritas. You will be MORE than happy.
    You should know that in bee tending if you don't shut your trap the bees will get out.

15. Member
    I sure would like to try a Ronin rod.
    How is the balance with a 2500 reel?

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by capt odie View Post
    You should. I think the action on that rod is literally perfect for jerkbaiting. I have a 3000 Vanford on it (same wt as the 2500) and its great.
    -Matt

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by capt odie View Post
    The balance is fantastic with the 2500 reel I have on it. Even though the Ronin itself is slightly heavier than the Dobyns casting rod I was using before, the combo feels lighter in my hands. I think some of that is the balance and the other is just the way I hold a spinning rod versus a casting rod. I don't palm a casting reel the same way a lot of other guys do, with the majority of my hand encasing the reel. I have more of my hand on the rod and side of the reel. With a spinning rod all of my fingers are wrapped around the handle and reel seat, so it just feels more stable and I can already tell I'm going to have much less fatigue because of it. Also, as mingo72 said, the action is absolutely perfect for jerkbaits. The Dobyns rod I had before had too much quiver (for lack of a better word) after snapping the rod down. The Ronin reacts much faster and the reverberations of the rod are minimal.

18. Member
    Thanks fellows
    got a nice picture of how a ronin rod feels with your your descriptions

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12