Winter time punch weight size

Will be fishing Rousseau January til end of March. What size punching sinker do you guys use that time of year? I assume the vegetation won’t be near as dense as in the summmertime. Thanks in advance

2. Member
    True punching 1.5, 1.75 and 2 oz get the job done year round in FL, the vegetation doesn't "thin" in this part of the country unless it has been sprayed by FWC.

3. Member
    Thanks Marion

4. Member
    Depends on size of bait and thickness of cover

Most times I start flipping mats with the following two combos: 1) Gambler BB Cricket with a 1 oz. weight; and 2) Standard 4"Beaver with 1.25 oz. weight. Then adjust weights higher as needed. The bait shape and size is critical for vegetation penetration. The more streamline the better..

I generally try to avoid going over 1.5 oz. as the 2 oz. weights can negatively impact hook set. Also that 2 oz. will wear you out flipping all day.

5. Member
    Depends on if we get hard freezes and / or intensive spraying
    The grass has been bast and thick this year where they haven't sprayed. I have seen Jan. / Feb. Where there is very little topped out grass. I like Rousseau best when the grass is growing up off the bottom and you can fish over it. There is always gator grass to flip. I usually flip 1.5 oz. .Some areas you can get by with less, just depends. Also in the coldest times you can go into rainbow and fish light line in the run .

Rule of thumb…As light as you can get away with.
    2012 Ranger Z519 Comanche - Merc. 225 Pro XS - 24 Razor 4 XL/25 Tempest Plus

I usually start at 3/4 then go up or down from there. I try to use the lightest possible also. But sometimes 1.5 to 2 is needed. I dont like to use that much weight to get through, cause it gonna be a bear to get the fish back out the other way.

This is pretty much year round for me.
    2008 Ranger 178VX
    150 Yamaha V-max

GO Fins!!!

8. Member
    Thanks guys, guess I’ll run to the bank for a tungsten weight loan

9. Member
    Hahaha Check Academy…prices on weights are not as bad. I still help out the small bait shops but the tungsten weights there are not near as bad.

10. Banned
    If the fish aren't biting on Lake Rousseau Proper, let me know and i'll direct You to a few different spots, down the Withlacoochee River, there are a couple bends that produce way more fish than the less-productive bends.. (great spot, a Bay that has access to the River and a guy w/a feeder) and the Rainbow River for weightless action.

The Blue Gator™ will also pull in the occasional 'wool', time to hit it is after 1700 for the younger tail and like 1430 for those more aged who will sometimes drink their lunch.

Have Fun

*My progeny caught a 12.12 right off of Turtle Island which is like an easy 9 iron from the aforementioned greasy spoon. Wh. Popping Frog. I caught a 9 right where the Rainbow meets the Withlacoochee Zoom Worm 1/4. weight (non-pegged)

11. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Finlander View Post
    Rule of thumb…As light as you can get away with.
    I completely agree! I start with a 3/4oz but if you’re punching hyacinths...! 3/4 won’t get you past the very top! Plus, as has been said, once you get to 2oz it wears me out fast.
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV