Oil/Fuel Line Leak 175 Optimax - 2014

2B115186

I noticed some oily (non fuel smelling) liquid coming out of the lower cowling so I did some digging on found this hose appears to have a leak. The air intake appears to have worn its way through the mesh tubing over time and cut into the rubber. Seems like a pretty sharp edge to have against an oil/fuel line. I haven't had time to take the lower cowling off yet but I need to know if this is something that I can do myself. I traced the other end of the line back to the fuel rails (I think). I really don't want the season to be over. LoL

I appreciate any assistance you can give or any feedback from Don (part numbers, etc.)

Thanks, Dave
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2015 Nitro Z-7 175 Pro XS

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    The link pictured is the High-Pressure fuel line from the VST to the fuel rails (110 psi operating pressure, approximately). Verify whether or not the hose is compromised (or if it is just the sleeve).

Also check to confirm if it is oil or fuel.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    So it appears to be oil. I believe I traced it back to this part (oil pump)? The output from the overflow tank comes into this part and there is a bead of oil underneath it. If this is the oil pump this may be over my head for repairs. Don, is this something I can do myself or does this require a mechanic?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by potomacbassin; 11-15-2021 at 10:26 AM.
    2015 Nitro Z-7 175 Pro XS

4. Member
    Time for a new oil pump. I replaced mine last fall, not a hard job IMHO, but I have a lot of years wrenching behind me. An oil pump prime sequence is required after replacement.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverFox579 View Post
    Time for a new oil pump. I replaced mine last fall, not a hard job IMHO, but I have a lot of years wrenching behind me. An oil pump prime sequence is required after replacement.
    +1

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor