Thread: 2018 250 SHO

2018 250 SHO

Coming up on 4th year in June 22 with a 5 year warranty up in 23.
    Under 200 hours so far as fishing is just getting started for me after retirement and other issues the last 12 months.
    It has been stellar. Fires immediately with a roar. Runs great. I would like to keep it and the boat. Idle always before takeoff and shutdown. Don’t fish tourneys. Annual service by dealer.
    Reading here, I have not seen much about late model SHO problems.
    I would tend to put my head down, keep it and rebuild when and if needed, if the parts are available.
    Supply chain issues may only get worse before getting better.

I am sure there are others coming up on this decision.
    Sell/Trade/Buy another extended warranty/keep w/o warranty.
    All comments and advice appreciated.
    Thanks
    Tom

2. Member
    I just sold my 3 year old boat and motor earlier this year for a new boat and motor because I wanted a bigger boat and I could put a lot of money down on the new one. I plan on keeping this one for new but you never know. You can buy a 1 more year of warranty as well. You don't mention the year of the boat but unless you absolutely need a new boat and motor just keep this one. Prices of boats are going through the roof if you can find one.
    2021 Skeeter ZX225
    2021 Yamaha SHO 225 VF225LA

3. Member
    The SHO is the best engine I have ever owned.....period. I keep up with the annual maintenance schedule and currently 7 years out of warranty. I don't even think about warranty. Non issue for me.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by davesz518 View Post
    The SHO is the best engine I have ever owned.....period. I keep up with the annual maintenance schedule and currently 7 years out of warranty. I don't even think about warranty. Non issue for me.
    Thanks. That is the answer I want to hear more.
    That is where I want to be.
    I love this motor so far and want to use it a lot in the future.
    I am actually just learning to drive the boat as I have had a year off and first year I was still working.
    More I drive it the better i like it.
    My hope is to keep both until I am not stable on a bass boat deck fishing or am comfortable with my grandsons running it and fishing in the back seat.
    I will keep fishing as long as I am able.

5. Member
    I specifically wanted a SHO when I bought mine in 2017. I had always been a MERC guy but at the time their four strokes had not been released and I was certainly done with the Poptimax. I have been very happy with the SHO, zero issues and meticulously maintained plus with prices climbing every year I decided to just keep my little mota and money. If this lasts me into the retirement years I will say I have got my monies worth out of it.
    2016 Triton 20TRX
    250 Pro XS, #112 MK Ultrex
    PP Blades, Atlas JP, Ionic Lithiums (4)
    Garmin 126/126/1222 & Solix 15

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dswindall View Post
    I specifically wanted a SHO when I bought mine in 2017. I had always been a MERC guy but at the time their four strokes had not been released and I was certainly done with the Poptimax. I have been very happy with the SHO, zero issues and meticulously maintained plus with prices climbing every year I decided to just keep my little mota and money. If this lasts me into the retirement years I will say I have got my monies worth out of it.
    I hope it lasts as long as you do!
    Same for me!

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bearetta View Post
    I hope it lasts as long as you do!
    Same for me!
    Me to brother.......
    2016 Triton 20TRX
    250 Pro XS, #112 MK Ultrex
    PP Blades, Atlas JP, Ionic Lithiums (4)
    Garmin 126/126/1222 & Solix 15

My 2011 has 592 hours, as of yesterday. How good is that?
    Powerhead replaced in 2014 at 348 hours, ECU total is 950 and going strong.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tracer1 View Post
    My 2011 has 592 hours, as of yesterday. How good is that?
    Powerhead replaced in 2014 at 348 hours, ECU total is 950 and going strong.
    Pretty dang good.
    Almost 100 hours per year for 10 years.
    7 more years and I will be 72 and hopefully still strong enough to move around the boat deck!

Don't sell yourself short. I'm 73 and ran over 50 guide trips for smallmouth this past season. Currently awaiting renewal of my Captains License so I can keep guiding for a couple more years.

My 2011 has 765 hours and long out of warranty. Runs like new. Should outlast me.
    Butch Derickson
    2011 Z521 w/250 hp SHO
    Traverse City, Michigan

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger519VS View Post
    Don't sell yourself short. I'm 73 and ran over 50 guide trips for smallmouth this past season. Currently awaiting renewal of my Captains License so I can keep guiding for a couple more years.

My 2011 has 765 hours and long out of warranty. Runs like new. Should outlast me.
    Good for you! Keep it up! I am glad to hear stories like yours.